Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replacement tridicator?

Options
dbsoccer
dbsoccer Member Posts: 34
edited February 2021 in THE MAIN WALL
The tridicator (PN 8056001) for my 35 year old Burnham boiler needs replaced. The pressure side is stuck. I can find no one who has a replacement. In my parts list the number RD135393 is also listed. And face of the gauge has the initials GIC. Neither the RD number nor GIC provide any hints as to where I can get a replacement. Having said that, if I find another model from any one of the quality companies who make tridicators for boilers, where the probe length, thread size and gauge scales all match what I now have, will such a gauge not be an adequate replacement?

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,525
    Options
    Yes, they make those in different lengths and pipe sizes. Any make that fits will work.

If you need to see the pressure you can mount a gauge on a drain valve that has a garden hose thread by getting a gauge and an adapter at a hardware or big box store
  • dbsoccer
    Options
    Thanks Ebebratt. I figured as much. I have learned since posting the GIC is actually CIC. Not sure if CIC makes these gauges anymore but still looking. I have a gauge on the RBFF that I installed awhile back. There was some debate if this gauge accurately reflected the system pressure due its location, etc. And perhaps the Watts gauge is not the most accurate. But it is probably better than the stuck Burnham gauge.
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    edited February 2021
    Options
    SupplyHouse.com has a full complement of gauges. The things that matter is the diameter of the face of the existing gauge, the length of the stem from the under side of the face to the boiler HX, and the pipe thread size that screws into the boiler or boiler stem (extension).

You have to loosen the top sheet metal and move it aside to look at the gauge, determine its length, and to replace it. You will have to drain the boiler down to below the top of the HX. Any valves that you can close above the boiler on the heat supply would be very helpful as you won't have to drain down the whole sys.

Be sure and use pipe dope (thread sealant).
  • dbsoccer
    Options
    Thanks HomerJSmith. You mention the diameter of the face being important. I don't understand why that would be unless it was fitting inside of a cutout in the sheet metal.

I've also been reading where many of the gauges being replaced are failing, perhaps due to the way then are installed. The one thing I picked up was to not screw the gauge in by grabbing the face (other than to first get it started). But use a wrench and turn it in using the brass portion on the back of the gauge. Apparently twisting on the face, even slightly, has caused the accuracy to be go south. Makes sense.

The recommended brand by some is Wal Rich. Comments?
  • dbsoccer
    Options
    I was able to buy the Burham replacement for my failed tridicator. I spoke to Burham and the part number I had in my owner's manual had been superseded and SupplyHouse had the new part number. So lucked out.

Question: What experience has anyone had removing a tridicator that has been in service for 35+ years? Like many things in this kind of environment, I expect it may be corroded to the point of making removal a chore. The last thing I want to do is break off the old one before I get it out.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    Spray with Kroil, or any penetrating fluid, drain. I always try to work things out with the smallest wrench so I don't over torque and break a bolt, but for this, I think you won't have much of a problem.
    Sid Harvey's also has them.
    steve
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
    Options
    It's a brass thread intro a cast block, they usually unscrew easily. May need to push the jacket metal in to get an open end wrench on it, 9/16" if it is a 1/4 npt gauge.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • dbsoccer
    Options
    Thanks Bob, Thanks Steve,
    Yep I wasted a night's sleep worrying about this. Bob was spot on. 9/16" wrench with a small amount of push and it came loose. Not the least worried about breaking anything. And the new one went in easily as well.

This was part of some long overdue system maintenance, which is now almost done. I do have a question remaining on system pressure but I'll create another post.

Thanks again! Relief!!
    STEVEusaPA