Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Honeywell Aquastat L8148 J1009

jcoupon
jcoupon Member Posts: 1
My old Honeywell Aquastat L8148E 1273 gave out a couple of days ago. I had it replaced with J1009 since E1273 is no longer available. Everything is working fine. However, I noticed that the aqua stat only have a high limit setting. I never noticed this before but shouldn’t the boiler maintain hot water? If so, is that where the low limit setting comes into play? 

I have a Slant Fin Model S 120 DP. It is gas radiant baseboard heating.

If someone can help, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    edited February 2021
    What one should know because I think that parts which are available now may not be available in the future. I just got some parts that I ordered in November has finally shipped out to me this week. You may well have to fix parts that fail rather than replace them because of time constraints or unavailability. We're use to going to the wholesalers and picking up what we need. The future may not be so accommodating.

Failure in winter is particularly demanding.

I have found failures in Honeywell aquastats and other important parts with relays, a break in the solder joints on the relays because of vibration. Technicians may be in the position of resoldering these broken joints to restore heat and functionality when no other choice exists. I am a pessimist on the economy and on supply chains, sorry, but I spend a lot of time studying this and this is what I see.

I don't just replace parts that fail. I want to know why they fail. I've taken a lot of Honeywell aquastats apart to learn why they failed. Invariably, that's what I found.

• HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    jcoupon, the differential is built into the aquastat, usually a 5 to 15 deg differential, I believe.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    If you don't have a tankless coil in the boiler you don't need a low limit to maintain temperature.
    But you should still protect the boiler from low temperature return water which will cause condensing in the chamber, the flue pipe and the chimney.
    steve
  • bucksnort
    bucksnort Member Posts: 167
    My 33 year old Burnham XG2000 has a Honeywell and only a high setting. Never worried about it.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,517
    What @STEVEusaPA said
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,829
    It's the L8148 that designates it a high limit only. That's what the old one was and that's what the new one is.