Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

AHRI Certification

Options
Steve_L
Steve_L Member Posts: 1
edited February 2021 in Oil Heating
I need a new boiler after 30+ years with a Peerless. I've gotten a few quotes and decided to go with a very reputable oil provider that also has an excellent service department. So I live in Massachusetts and have a 40 year old home where I have replaced about half the windows, but have been meaning to get around to the other windows as they were all wooden framed contractor windows 40 years ago and I definitely am losing heat in some of them.

So I want to use this program that the state provides in Massachusetts. It's funded be the big electric companies and there is a part of the program that provides 0% interest loans and rebates for various types of home improvements. Rather than pull $12 to $15K out of my 401K (retired, fixed income) before taxes. I'd like to take advantage of this attractive program.

So my most likely vendor provides me 3 proposals and I get sold on going with a System2000 EKI. I also got a good quote on the windows. I submit it all to a 3rd party engineering company for review to get approved for Mass Save and the came back immediately on the system2000 requiring a AHRI certification or reference number. Apparently the sys2K company is choosing not to participate in this AHRI thing.

So my question is what does this AHRI certification even provide that is such added value that Mass Save requires it, and does anyone know what the current status of this is? I've decided to pay the added cost to get one as it looks to me like most of this industry is using 50 year old technology, but this will cause additional costs to me, through a big tax hit on me (for my entire income) and loss of ongoing investment income for the money I'll need to pull out of my investment fund.
Pat_11

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    AHRI is a certification body that, when companies participate, creates an even playing field for people outside to compare manufacturers. They have very strict testing procedures and companies must meet them or they lose certification.

The company you are dealing with probably wants it to be able to make equal comparisons.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,577
    Options
    @Steve_L

Keep checking back. Energy Kenetics hangs out on this forum. Maybe they will respond. Repost your title with EK in it
  • JayMcCay
    JayMcCay Member Posts: 33
    Options
    Thank you for your question, @Steve_L . Thank you for placing your confidence in Energy Kinetics and your well qualified heating professionals at your oil company!

Energy Kinetics is approved by Mass Save, which accepts our Energy Star listing and ratings (certified by UL) – AHRI is not required. If you or your engineering company need additional assistance, please PM me and we can provide support and further details.

AFUE is the rating referenced, and it leaves much to be desired when comparing heating boilers and heat and hot water boilers. We have a web page dedicated to why AFUE should include more than chimney related losses so consumers can make more informed decisions about efficiency.

Thank you,
    Jay McCay
    Energy Kinetics
    Jay McCay
    National Sales Manager
    Energy Kinetics
    908 328-7154 cell
    Steve_L
  • Steve_L
    Options
    Jay, thank you for your quick response and the info. I've private messaged you.
  • Steve_L
    Options
    I want to close this thread with many thanks to @JayMcCay and Mark Santangelo and others at Energy Kinetics for working closely with my local dealer, myself and all the right people inside the Mass Save program. Turns out that the AHRI certification my local contract manager was requesting for the System2000 is not required and Energy Kinetics is fully compliant with the Mass Save program. The only heating cert required is the standard AFUE.

I was very impressed with the quick respond Jay helped me with here and am now looking forward to my new Energy Kinetics EK1 install.

Thanks also for others input to this thread.
    szwedjErin Holohan HaskellBillyO
This discussion has been closed.