Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

boiler changeover

Options
I have a task of doing a boiler changeover and i am having problems with it. Mainly, setting off the lwc of the boiler i'm bringing offline. These are old kewanee steam boilers. We generally run around 11-12 psi. Is there a proper sequence when doing a changeover. I've looked, but I haven't found anything. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    I have not done it myself, but watching it done one thing they do is to bring the new boiler up to pressure before opening the valve.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,543
    Options
    need a little more information on what you have for equipment and what problems your having
  • okiemarine
    okiemarine Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Two kewanee steam boilers, model 7L85, 4x series, burner Webster engineering, kinetic no. 38-f, 14 inch outlet, header and main. I’d like to know if there’s a set of instructions for doing a boiler changeover without setting off the lwc or overfilling the boiler coming online. 
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,543
    Options
  • okiemarine
    okiemarine Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Good article, I read it twice. Answers some questions and let's me know I haven't been doing everything correctly. Thank you Ed.
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 906
    edited February 2021
    Options
    WOW, that is a great article posted by @EBEBRATT_Ed. That article would have been a great read for me in 1970 when I got into this field. So, thanks Ed. That said, follow the advice of the article and what you have been taught. I doubt that those low pressure steam boilers would be equipped with a non-return valve, so just make sure that when you make the change-over that the steam pressures are the same on both boilers and open the colder boiler's steam valve very slowly until the pressures in both boilers has equalized. I will never forget the day an unskilled boiler guy opened the header valve on a cold, shut down, but not drained, high pressure boiler. I was so happy when nothing came apart.

I have to ask why the boilers do not seem to be operating in a lead/lag sequence. This would help insure that the system never experiences a total loss of steam from a failed boiler.