Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit

Old recessed radiators

SLC Member Posts: 37
I have these old radiators in my house and cannot find a whole of info on line regarding the efficiency and how to change steam valve located in the back of the unit. My assumption is you have to pull the unit out to get to the valve, but the vertical bars come out so I'm wondering if thats how your suppose to access them. Any input would be greatly appreciated.


  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 1,649
    If I remember they are Weil McLain radiators and yes you use that door to gain access ...
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • SLC
    SLC Member Posts: 37
    Thanks Ed, I'll try some more research..These must be ancient
  • ChicagoCooperator
    ChicagoCooperator Member Posts: 286
    I think they are in the EDR book and maybe, possibly, in the museum somewhere there was a brochure?
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 2,637
    The air vent is inside the cabinet . You ll have to remove the top which is usually held on w a few screws and always covered in a thick coat of paint . I run into those Weil McLean Rayaint radiators every once in a while ,I think there on of my favorites I de change valves on them any day of the week compared to a recessed radiator . Peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • SLC
    SLC Member Posts: 37
    Thanks for the info....
Sign In or Register to comment.


It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!