Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best way to measure gas consumption???

Options
AdmiralYoda
AdmiralYoda Member Posts: 627
Okay guys, just a homeowner here wanting to try and measure fuel consumption after some changes to my boiler.

I lowered the pressure, new Vaporstat, other maintenance items etc.

I'm thinking read the gas meter at the start and end of some period of time and then figure out the heating degree  days for that period.  Then I will know cubic feet of gas per degree day.

Then I can compare this to a previous gas bill for comparison.

Any other thoughts?

Comments

• bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 912
    Options
    That should be quite accurate, provided that any non-heating gas loads in the house are similar between periods: water heater, range, clothes dryer, etc.

you can compensate approximately  for the non-heating gas loads by subtracting your usage during the non-heating months of the year; however, since incoming cold water tends to be colder in the winter, if you have a gas water heater it will use a bit more fuel in the winter months.

Bburd
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,159
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Recommend you login to you local gas supplier site to download utilization date Both Washington Gas and Columbia Gas in area provide gas utilization by month with average temperate. Very useful to compare usage based on average temperature, daily utilization and same month performance from 2020.