Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sterling GarageGuy Heater Control Board

Options
BrennanU
BrennanU Member Posts: 7
edited February 2021 in Thermostats and Controls
Hi All,

I have a Sterling GarageGuy series heater installed in my garage. It has been working fine for years, but last night I noticed it wasn't heating properly. During the cycle the gas shuts off and the unit stops. Error code reports a no flame condition. I was poking around with my meter and there seems to be some weird voltages going on during the problem times of the cycle. During this process the voltage going to the gas valve drops down to ~12VAC and I can hear the combustion fan clicking on and off fairly randomly, as if the relay is right around the coil voltage. I've checked the 24VAC transformer during this time and it is putting out the correct voltage.

This all leads me to believe the control board is the problem. Checking online the OEM replacement board appears to be ~$250. With some further research, I see that both Honeywell and White-Rodgers make a number of universal controllers, but I can't seem to find one that is rated for Direct Spark ignition and has full control over the blowers (combustion air and heat blower). Does anyone know if such a universal replacement board exists, or is the OEM board my only option?

The board seems to be an OEM generic board labeled 1097-507. The correct part is a 11J28-06881.

Thanks!

Comments

• BrennanU
    Options
    Not sure how I managed to post this in job opportunities, but if someone could move this to the appropriate section, that would be great. 
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    Are you getting 2 flashes on the control board?
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • BrennanU
    Options
    Yes, getting 2 flashes on the board. I took the flame sensor out and cleaned it up with no success. Other than being a little bit dirty, it looked fine.
  • Dcp
    Dcp Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I had a similar problem with my heater this week. I found two cracked solder joints on the 6 pin connector; one is the wire to the gas valve.  I resoldered them and all is working correctly again. Hope this helps you. 
  • TheWard
    TheWard Member Posts: 1
    edited January 22
    Options
    I had errors like crazy on my Sterling GG (GG-75) shop heater. Thought I found a simple shorted wire and then it acted up more. Found this post, pulled my control board and found the EXACT same thing. The same 2 posts were soldered horribly and had cracks. I re-soldered them and now my shop is heating up fine.

They are the bottom 2 posts for the 6-pin connector (orange and white wires) They look different than the other 4 solders which are fine. Maybe the assembly machine on some of the boards is wonkey. Dunno.

Also note that getting the control board out is kinda of a pain the butt with the bottom left screw behind other elements in the enclosure. Double ratchet extension and a knuckle got me there.