Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

System 2000 ascent not producing enough heat?

nesquikmilk1290
nesquikmilk1290 Member Posts: 2
edited February 2021 in THE MAIN WALL
Hey I had a question about my system 2000 boiler that I installed in my home around 2 months go. The ascent was replacing an old slant fin boiler which was loud and radiated tons of heat off it. This home is just about 2200 sq ft. Currently I have it piped in the way it was with the original boiler which is 1 inch supply that comes back as 2 , 3/4 pipes for the return. There is one thermostat in the whole house so currently the basement gets heat whenever the upstairs gets a call for heat, the one inch supply has tee that goes to the basement baseboard . The old boiler had no problem getting the thermostat to 72 and now it struggles to get past 69. Granted I know its been colder recently so it will take longer to heat the home but it takes a real long time to even get to 72. The burner constantly kicks on once it reaches to its 170 low limit and shuts off at the high limit. Since the call for heat is on for so long the circulator stays on for so long hence the boiler having to keep coming on, almost as if its short cycling. I know these are great units and would appreciate any tips to fine tune my system.

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,829
    The only thing you should do is contact your EK dealer/installer and have them come out and check it. It's still under warranty. 
    If your having trouble with the engine on a new car, do you fiddle with it or take it back to the dealer?
    And if your using a setback thermostat in colder than normal conditions, stop. Set it and forget it. 
    SuperTech
  • Roger
    Roger Member Posts: 329
    edited February 2021
    Thank you for your post @nesquikmilk1290 and for your comment @HVACNUT - great points about working with the installing contractor and putting the thermostat on hold in colder than normal weather if heating is an issue at those times. The Ascent Combi has more than enough capacity to heat your 2200 square foot home.

The single thermostat split loop system you describe must have ball valves to isolate the piping for proper and thorough purging. Then it also needs to be properly balanced for the heat to work well. This and uneven heat can be a few of the downsides of not having two separate zones.

Since the burner is turning off, it means that the baseboard cannot remove all of the heat the boiler can produce, so your problem is related to the baseboard.

Your heating professional can look at the supply and return temperatures on the zone and individual loops to find out more about where the deficiency is. It is possible that running the boiler at a higher temperature can increase the output of the baseboard (make sure it is within recommended settings), although it is important to have adequate flow through the loops and that the baseboard and piping is purged and does not have any air in it.

It's also a good idea to make sure your baseboard can "breathe". It must not be blocked by plush carpeting or furniture and the louvers must all be fully open.

Best,
    Roger
    President
    Energy Kinetics, Inc.