Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Could a brand new brown boiler be cracked?

Options
jdp1219
jdp1219 Member Posts: 41
Just got a new Crown boiler installed and after letting it run for the first 5 minutes, a liquid and something burnt up dropped near the pilot.  My friend said it could be something burning off since the boiler is brand new.  I'm afraid its cracked.  Anyone hear of new boilers dripping when they first run because of factory chemicals or joint compound melting?

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    Is it hot water or steam?
  • LS123
    LS123 Member Posts: 466
    Options
    Hi, I am not a pro, its possible during the install your service provider may have left something unintentionally... it sounds like you have a gas boiler... I would call the people who installed it right away... dont try to fix anything, perhaps this might be a job for pros who installed the new boiler.... best
    Thank you!
    @LS123
  • jdp1219
    Options
    JUGHNE said:
    Is it hot water or steam?
    It is a steam boiler.
  • LS123
    LS123 Member Posts: 466
    Options
    @jdp129 if you take things apart and troubleshoot one you could get harmed, two you may end up loosing service level agreements and possibly warranty... if you just got it installed I would be calling the people right away.... especially on a new install of a steam boiler....best!
    Thank you!
    @LS123
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,525
    Options
    The good news is if you don't see water leaking it's probably not cracked
  • jdp1219
    Options
    I saw water leaking for the first five minutes and then it stopped.  A few drops came down and hit the pan under the burners.
  • jdp1219
    Options
    Condensation possibly. When you say leak what do you mean?

How full is your boiler? 

About 10 drops of water.  My initial fear was that the boiler was cracked.  After about 10 minutes of running, it stopped dripping.  I think you may be right about the condensation.  Is this something that occurs with new boilers at the very beginning?  The sight glass was half way full.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    The install installations may have had a boiler pressure testing procedure.
    Once set in place, all openings are plugged water tight and then the block pressurized with house water up to 30 or 45 PSI. Must hold pressure for some stated time.

What you can do is when the boiler is cool, overfill up to the header and let set for an hour. Leaks would show up dripping perhaps into the burner compartment or where you saw the initial drip.

Could you post pictures of the boiler and piping, everyone is curious to see new installs.
    My570
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,677
    Options
    An ice cold (well, room temperature) block and a really hot humid gas flame will produce a lot of condensation.

Many have thought water heaters were leaking after first lighting them as well.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Tuto0174_
  • jdp1219
    Options
    Here is a video of the new install.  I actually made it to send to some one so disregard the commentary at the end.

https://youtu.be/aJwpP0BHUNM