Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Do hot water baseboard pipes ever contain valves that click?

Options
I have so many places that click in my baseboards, it sounds like a valve is being forced open somewhere. I assumed the pipes were clear and simply had water pushed through them. But do any have valves that are supposed to make a click when they open?

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,646
    Options
    Some types of check valves can click, but I don't see why those would be installed in your baseboard emitters.

It is very common for fin tube baseboard element to make clicking and pinging noises if it isn't installed and supported so it can move freely as it expands and contracts
    numberforty1
  • numberforty1
    numberforty1 Member Posts: 97
    Options
    mattmia2 said:

Some types of check valves can click, but I don't see why those would be installed in your baseboard emitters.

And a "check valve" would be visible correct? Not something inside the pipe?

• iPipefitter
    iPipefitter Member Posts: 15
    Options
    A check valve should be visible with a direction of flow clearly on the valve. In my experience I was taught to not insulate a check valve.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
    Options
    Could be a check in the circulator also. But it sounds more like expansion noise from the piping?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    HomerJSmith
  • numberforty1
    Options
    hot_rod said:

Could be a check in the circulator also. But it sounds more like expansion noise from the piping?

Hi, for a layman, could you explain what you mean by "a check in the circulator"?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,525
    Options
    @numberforty1

Take the covers off the baseboard. There is usually a plastic piece that fits between the bracket that supports the fin tube element. It allows the fin tube to move for expansion and contraction. Check and see if they are in place.

Also the holes in the floor the the pipes run through coming up to the baseboard have to be large enough so the pipe doesn't rub on the wood floor.

Some circulators have built in check valves

Check valves are not likley to be the cause of your noise. It sounds like expansion contraction
  • numberforty1
    Options
    @EBEBRATT-Ed Thanks, is a "circulator" just the pipe? So some pipes have check valves inside them and you can't even tell if they are there?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,525
    Options
    Hot water systems rarely have check valves . If they do you can see them. There is nothing hidden inside the pipe.

Now you may have a Flo Check valve (witch is like a check valve) which would be located usually in the supply pipe (but sometimes in the return pipe) they would be located at the boiler. It's a large valve that you can see

The circulator is the pump that pumps the water through the boiler to be heated and circulates it through the baseboard. Circulators sometimes have a check valve built inside of it that cannot be seen without removing the circulator

Also, look at your boiler gauge and check the water pressure n the boiler. It should be 12-15 psi if the boiler is cold. Maybe 20 when hot
    numberforty1
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,646
    Options
    The circulator is the pump that moves the water through the system, usually at the boiler. Some have a plastic flow check assembly that presses in to the outlet of the pump flange and you can't tell if that is actually there without disconnecting the mounting flange of the pump although the pump part number or a sticker on the outside of the pump might be a clue.

This is the person with the baseboard radiation with the homemade looking covers:
    https://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/183066/clicks-and-snaps-from-hot-water-baseboards#latest
    numberforty1