Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Uninsulated walls behind radiators.

We have a huge old house built in 1904 44x60 basically 3 floors plus’s full basement. We do not heat the whole house. I am a journeyman multi skilled maintenance mechanic. I installed a Weil McLain ultra 305 in 2004. I typed a lot more but lost the whole message:-(. My question is when it gets very cold outside it gets cold inside! The furnace modulates the water temperature based on the outside temperature. Maximum temperature 180 d F.  On a real cold day. Wall insulation is nonexistent. Mostly the same for ceilings.  I think my limitation is radiator surface area. Cast Iron painted of course!  Would it help to put foil faced foam insulating sheets behind the radiators on the outer walls? I have a small fan blowing through one of the radiators.  We love our hot water heat. It is great except when it gets very very cold and windy out.  Thanks for any advice.  PS I think I have almost every one of Dan Holohan’s books. 

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,725
    edited February 2021
    The first question everyone will want to be answered is "Did you do a Load Calculation" on your home to select the boiler? Since most of the heating systems were oversized back then, it sounds like there is not enough heat getting to the radiators and that can be caused by several factors.

The next thing is Weil McLain has an Ultra 105 and they have an Ultra 310 (among others) I was wondering if you have the 310 or the 105? or some other model. This will determine the proper pipe sizing from the boiler to the existing radiator system. If you have a 310 and you used 1" copper for the near boiler piping, there is part of your problem. But that is only conjecture, without more information. Can you post pictures of your near boiler piping from far enough away to see from floor to ceiling of the boiler room? From several different side angles and from the front.

Looking forward to your reply.

Respectfully Submitted,
    Mr.Ed

P.S.
    Assuming everything on the boiler is perfect, to answer your query, Any insulation can only help. The more the better. So adding some reflective face foam between the wall and the radiator won't hurt, and it can only help.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    Not sure anything with foam is good near a heater. Sounds like having insulation blown in and fix upt he windows and doors would be the best bang for the buck
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Was this a steam to hot water conversion in the past?