Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

TRV installation

Options
Jim Murphy
Jim Murphy Member Posts: 15
Hi all, 

Trying to install a Danfoss RA2000 TRV on a 1-pipe steam radiator.  My issue is clearance - not enough space between the outlet on the rad and an adjacent wall. (The radiator is in a corner. I could spin the whole radiator but would rather not lose the space.)

I thought of adding a nipple and an elbow to turn the valve, but the installation instructions specifically say not to do this. I’m wondering why not? Will I damage the valve? Will it not work at all?

Or is it just a matter of maybe the temperature will register differently and I’ll have to just change the setting, which would be fine?

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Murph

Comments

• Jim Murphy
    Options
    That was the answer I was afraid to get. Called Danfoss a few hours ago with no call back.

If anyone has has experience with this, please chime in. 

Thank you Youngplumber.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    They might have remote temp control and sensor.
    The air vent stills goes on the radiator.
    IDK if it would take up any less space or not.

The air vent has to be vertically upright and the sensor is usually horizontal. If you add fittings with all this in mind, the fittings have to drain back into the rad.
    Jim Murphy
  • Jim Murphy
    Options
    Thanks JUGHNE.

No remote sensor in this case.

Understood on correct pitch.

Maybe that’s why they say not to add fittings - too easy for the elbow to spin and mess up the pitch?

The temperature answer has me scratching my head a bit, as steam is still getting to the valve. Doesn’t adding fittings just essentially make the radiator a tiny bit bigger? And isn’t the sensor sensing the air temp, not the radiator?

Still no call from Danfoss - grrr...
  • Jim Murphy
    Options
    Yeah, bad pitch and trapped water would definitely be a problem. (Not saying I have that problem) The valve does have a vacuum breaker, so as long as it is pitched right, I’d think it will drain properly.

I guess you’re right on “just try it.” Pretty easy to do and to reverse if it doesn’t work.