Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Update to getting a Magic Chef furnace running

Options
JRep1369
JRep1369 Member Posts: 7
I wanted to post an update on how I'm making out with getting an old Magic Chef gas furnace running. I removed and cleaned the center burner and right bridge again, and started the furnace, but the right bridge is still partly clogged. The flames from the burners did look better, and it ran about 3 hours without issue as far as I know, although the tips did get a bit orange which you'll hopefully be able to see in the pix.(I'm not a great photographer) Then just before the thermostats reached temperature, the burners "blew" out, then a moment or 2 later flashed back on. I shut it down, and I guess I'm gonna need to try and find replacement burners. Or does anyone know if soaking the bridge in plumbing primer then vacuuming it will work? It cleaned the pilot nozzle that was clogged. 
Thaks for the help

mattmia2

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    The orange in the flame usually comes from you working around the furnace. I am concerned you may have a bad heat exchanger. The next time you light the burners watch the flames carefully when the indoor fan motor starts. If the flames change when the fan motor starts you furnace is toast. Remove and clean out all the burners and the travel tube that carries the gas across

Be careful. You have to be concerned about carbon monoxide.

Sounds like you need a pro to look at this. Don't want anyone getting hurt
    mattmia2SuperTechJRep1369HVACNUT
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,640
    Options
    Like i and others said earlier, in addition to checking the hx to make sure it isn't leaking, inadequate gas supply for any number of reasons could be causing the burner to not fire properly and all those possibilities need to be checked too.
    SuperTechJRep1369
  • JRep1369
    edited February 2021
    Options
    @EBEBRATT-Ed I will try to check if the flames change when the fan comes on, it hasn't gone on by itself, that I know of. When I light it and flip the switch, the fan comes on and stays on. I don't know if there's another fan that's supposed to come on like a circulator, but warm air does blow out of the registers. I am going to see if I can find someone who knows what they're doing, and willing to come out. For whatever reason it's hard to find people who want to work around here, everyone seems to have an "I'll get to it tomorrow" and for some tomorrow never comes.(including gas companies) 
  • JRep1369
    edited February 2021
    Options
    @mattmia2, the gas pressure was something I was looking at, and I think could be contributing,(a little too much) but checking the pressure, and the hx, aren't things I can do, so I will be trying to find someone who knows what they're doing, and willing to come out. Changing this that and the other, only to still have problems isn't very economical. Tho trying to find someone who actually shows up, and doesn't try to charge 200 an hour is a bit challenging.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,640
    Options
    That can be tough to get someone good. Someone that knows what they are doing is going to want to get paid for it, but someone that doesn't will ask as well. I would not let anyone change anything without explaining how they tested that it was bad.

You could clock the meter and see what it is actually consuming but that could be wrong if the problem is the service regulator.