Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Beckett AFG Oil Burner

Options
Albie
Albie Member Posts: 9

I recently had a new Peerless boiler installed with a Beckett AFG Burner with an F4 head. When I serviced the boiler I noticed there was a .60 gph nozzle. The heat loss for the house is pretty low 50,000 btu. My question is, shouldn't there be a low fire baffle installed? I had a hard time getting the combustion levels set properly.

Comments

• BDR529
    BDR529 Member Posts: 285
    Options
    Which Peerless?
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,159
    Options
    Check the data sticker on the AFG. It should state the factory installed nozzle and if a low fire baffle is needed. I believe it will be say LFRB, low firing rate baffle.  I would guess it would need one.
    STEVEusaPA
  • MaxMercy
    MaxMercy Member Posts: 508
    Options
    According to the Beckett AFG manual it should. Was it a pre-packaged boiler?
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,833
    Options
    If it's a WBV3 then the nozzle is too small anyway. Its possible the pump pressure was increased to get the firing rate, but it's not listed in the Beckett OEM spec guide. The only other newer Peerless they spec with the AFG is the EC/ECT, and those numbers don't match up either. 
    The Riello F3 is capable of a lower firing rate in the WBV3.
    STEVEusaPA
  • Albie
    Options
    Boiler Model is WBV-03-WPCTL, I think the nozzle was changed by the installing company and is it not compatible with the burner and not what the manufacturers burner label suggests, see burner label attached.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    Yeah if the pump pressure is still at 140, the .90x80B Hago (mostly everyone uses a Delavan .85x80B).
    You can go as low as .75x80B with that pump pressure, but you need a F3 head.
    Many times an unknowledgeable tech will downfire a burner, leave the wrong head, get poorer combustion and 'think' they are saving money.
    I’d get someone over there who will confirm pump pressure, put the right nozzle in there, and dial in combustion with a full combustion test.
    steve
    HVACNUTSuperTech
  • Albie
    Options
    To all that commented on my nozzle conundrum I say thank you, you have confirmed my suspicion.
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,159
    Options
    I have the same boiler and I have been able to run it with a .65 80B nozzle and low fire baffle. With some tuning it will run cleanly but I wouldn't recommend it, the stack temperature will be too low during warmer weather operation and you will have flue gas condensate forming in the chimney. I've found most WBV-03 boilers will run nicely with a .75 gph nozzle at 140 PSI, but every installation is different.  
    STEVEusaPA