Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Getting a very old gas fitting unscrewed

park789
park789 Member Posts: 1
I have a firing ring for a gas pottery kiln that I need to send to Seattle to get refurbished. It has a set of gas fittings sticking out from the ring that I need to take off. The reason is that I can simply then ship it as a regular package. Otherwise the freight cost would be prohibitive and I would have to drive it over there which I don't want to do. It's a reducer black pipe fitting with ancient pipe dope on it. No rust but it is 37 years old. How do I get it to unscrew? A 24 inch pipe wrench has not worked and it has been drenched in WD40. Suggestions would be most appreciated.

Comments

• WMno57
    WMno57 Member Posts: 1,249
    Is this a bushing with a hex shape (six flats)?

I find the following works on most stuck threaded fittings:

Liquid wrench or PB blaster
    Hammering or Impact
    Wiggle in both directions (tighten and loosen)

The idea is to crush the corrosion between the threads.

If it is a hex shape, a socket and breaker bar would allow you to wiggle it back and forth. Tapping on the fitting with a hammer will sometimes break the corrosion between the threads.

Could you take it to truck or tractor repair mechanic?

If you attach a picture we may have some additional advice.
    I DIY.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Slice the reducer with a 4 1/2" grinder with a cutting disk
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    A picture would help a lot here. 37 years isn't old at all for black iron or brass carrying gas. It is probably just getting the right wrench and backup wrench on it.
    Larry Weingarten
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    I removed a 60 year old galvanized pipe in to a galvanized tee and a galvanized pipe in to a brass union on a laundry tray a few months ago when replacing some galvanized pipe with copper at my mom's house without a problem.

What size are the fittings? A 24" wrench is only good up to 1" or so for assembly and maybe 3/4" for disassembly.
  • woodrow
    woodrow Member Posts: 40
    I agree with Ed.To big a wrench and you will egg shape the pipe a picture would help sometimes heat will work depending on the piping material and make sure the gas is purged out
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    3 foot wrench and 10 foot breaker bar with two guys hanging off the end, been there done that
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    Youngplumberkcopp