Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dripping water

Options
DPK99
DPK99 Member Posts: 14
edited January 2021 in Strictly Steam
Water has started dripping from one of the pipes connected to the boiler. Here is a pic with the problem location. What could be causing this?

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,543
    Options
    That looks like a Watts 9D backflow preventer.

That side connection should be piped down to within 6" of the floor.

The backflow preventer prevents dirty boiler water from getting back into your cold water supply.

Water will come out of that connection when:

The boiler pressure is higher than the city water pressure
    or the backflow preventer is defective.

If it needs replacement you can try a plumbing supply house or a big box store. hardware stores may have one. There are unions on both sides it can easily be replaced

Stand back and take a couple more pictures of the piping. It may not be installed right
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    edited January 2021
    Options
    That is your back flow preventer that would stop your boiler water from reversing flow into your house drinking water. The backflow could be caused if you water service was off and there was a vacuum produced by something. Seldom happens but it can....you don't want boiler water in your coffee.

It probably needs replaced, might be cleanable but doubtful.
    It is supposed to be piped down towards the floor to avoid getting things wet.

For time being you could tie a long rag around the copper tee below it and have the tail drip into a bucket.
    Cotton works the best, dish towel works good if you don't get caught. :*

To satisfy YoungPlumber could you post a picture of the piping on the other side of your boiler?
    I'm thinking that your equalizer drop pipe is hiding in this picture.
    I find it hard to imagine a pipefitter who does double drop header would leave it out.
  • DPK99
    DPK99 Member Posts: 14
    Options
    I'll likely called a heating technician, as this is beyond what I am comfortable fixing. But here are the additional pictures requested.

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Your Drop Header is properly equalized. The Back Flow Preventer is on the water supply that feeds the boiler. If you don't want to do it yourself, a regular plumber can do it in a few minutes.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    What is the pressure reading on the pressure gauge?.....old eyes
    Is it in lbs or ounces?