Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Riello rls130

Options
Mlyons
Mlyons Member Posts: 4
I have a Riello rls130 running on oil only locked in low fire, the burner has run flawlessly for years until last Tuesday. It was locked out at the PTFI position on the Siemens programmer. I reset the programmer and the burner lit and ran with no issue. I shut it down and checked the electrodes and nozzles, changed them while I had it apart. Checked all electrical connections and went through the burner. Put it all back together and it fired without a hitch, sat there the rest of the day, about 3 hours and it never skipped a beat. Here we are are 4 days later, the boiler trips every night between 4 and 8, I show up to reset it and it runs without a hitch, every time I leave for lunch I come back and its tripped, same position on the programmer every time, but always lights and runs without a hitch when I reset it. I've not seen the burner trip once in the 4 days I've been there, here's a list of what I have done. Change electrodes and set gap, every day, changed nozzles, changed pump strainer, changed oil filter, changed programmer with spare that was on site, performed efficiency test, cut back excess air today because it was way too much. Really thought I got it with that. Ran all day with no issue, just found out I'm going back tomorrow because it tripped again.... the only consistency is it trips between 4 and 8 every night, also there is an identical burner and boiler setup right beside it with no issues at all.. going by from pulling my hair out. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited January 2021
    Options
    What country? The reason I ask is this is a very advanced burner, one probably not seen much in the states.
    I’d probably find the factor rep for your area and ask for a recommendation for a tech familiar with this burner.
    Although the problem may lie with something standard-from loss of prime, partially plugged nozzle, improper combustion air, etc.
    Here’s the manual.
    https://www.riello.com/north-america/products/commercial-burners/riello-rls-70-100-130-190_B-US-PL-0003102?action=download&k=Generic+Document|Doc-0083880|0&name=DOCUMENTS/f9/e2/f9e2h07uaqayyt4lt8uizidlgkm3byaru-kzneik6vb.v9h

Is there something that happens with a high electric load every night between 4-8?
    steve
    HVACNUT
  • Mlyons
    Options
    USA
  • Mlyons
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I just caught it, the low fire solenoid started to chatter after flame established and the burner was huffing like a locomotive. The coil was warm to the touch, after so many cycles it must be failing  and not opening, by the time i get here to reset it its coed off and the burner lights with no issue,, I swapped out the coil with another one. We will see.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    Can you ohm out the coil?
    steve
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,834
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Looks like you found the problem. If not, you are in a unique situation with 2 identical burners in close proximity. Swap parts one at a time until the problem moves to the other burner... that is the suspect part causing the failure.

When all else fails, pass the beer nuts,

Respectfully submitted,
    Mr.Ed
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • Mlyons
    Options
    It tripped again last night, so far 3 nights in a row between 730 and 8pm.... headed back Monday to reset it, watch it run and smash my head off the floor.