Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hot water heat Boiler issue

Options
Gord99
Gord99 Member Posts: 6
edited January 2021 in Oil Heating
Just wondering before I call a service person in to look at my boiler hot water heat  unit in my home if anyone knew what could cause this .. 
It works perfect all day and evening but on morning Its not circulating .. 
I have turned off and on power switch everything starts up and runs for the day.. I actually went down this morning and tapped the main box (aquastat) and I heard pump start up and everything worked fine for the day .. 
thought maybe someone had a suggestion before I call in the professionals .. this has been going on for  2 weeks .. so e times it works for few days bit lately every morning I have to do a power off and on or tap that powerbox (aquastat)
Thanks 
Gordie

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    Hard to tell. Shut off the power and take the covers off all your controls and check the wiring connections to make sure they are good.

Is this gas or oil?
  • Gord99
    edited January 2021
    Options

Its oil 
    I did that and all wires look good and tight.
    I cleaned the connectors (points) with a small file as they were dirty .. 
    I just find it strange that it works for sometimes few days and works great then some mornings it has to be lightly tapped or  power off and back on and works all day .. 
    never had to do that in daytime just in morning.. 
    Was just thinking someone could pinpoint the cause or i could try something else.. 
    appreciate the response ..

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    What model aquastat? The L8124 can fail on the circulator relay. Boiler is up to temp but no power to C1. Might be time for an upgrade. Confirm first of course. 
    Dave T_2unclejohnGord99
  • Dave T_2
    Dave T_2 Member Posts: 64
    Options
    From the info we have - I would agree with @HVACNUT , aquastat is the best guess.
  • Gord99
    Options
    I appreciate the replies .. I am not really familiar with boilers and such I thought maybe it could be a simple fix.. I will continue to tap on the box til I can get a service person in .. 
    when I bought house there was an a new aquastat on the utility room shelf .. but i had no issues last year with my heat .. just started a coupke weeks ago maybe previous owners knew something I dont and have one on hand .. 
    Not  even sure if they are interchangeable but i posted pics aquastat  on the boiler and the aquastat that was found in a box on the shelf.. 
    again I appreciate the responses..  
    Gordie

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    Looks like the new control will work. I would have your servic e tech confirm the problem and install the new aqustat
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,672
    Options
    Don't use a file on contacts unless it is a special point file. An ordinary steel file will embed metal particles in the contact that will interfere with the contacts arcing and cleaning.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    Ok, not an L8124 but the White Rodgers equivalent. The new L7224U will work. If your handy you could do it yourself.
    I am curious why there are 2 sets of low volt wires though. 
  • Gord99
    Options
    Thanks again for replies, I am at handy at other things but this stuff is out of my league.. I will try to get someone in to see whats going on and if needed replace that aquastat.. 
    again this morning no circulation and the lightest tap and  everything started up and been working fine.. 
    I will triple check that wires are not loose anywhere  and try to clean the connectors (points) a little more and await a service person as they are booked up in my area . 

2 sets of low voltage wires ? There is 2 zone valves and 2 thermostats,I assumed that what those wires were for .. 
    Thanks
    Gordie 
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,858
    edited January 2021
    Options
    That old W/R aquastat relay has a known issue with that relay. Sometimes the clapper pulls in on a slight angle depending on the orientation of the control. If the clapper pulls in slightly askew, the circulator contact does not make. It has nothing to do with the contact needing to be burnished, it just is not making contact.

You can rotate the control 90° and the problem MAY resolve, or you can replace the control with the L7224U for a 100% sure fired repair.

The electronic control is my choice! Are you still getting your hot water from the boiler? If not you can set the boiler to be a cold start with that control.

Yours truly,
    Mr.Ed

P.S.
    Two sets of Low Voltage wires? Are there zone valves?

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• Gord99
    Options
    thanks for your reply Mr Ed. Yes there is 2 zone valves . One for upstairs and one for basement..
    the connectors (points) were in bad shape when I looked I cleaned them up thinking surely that was problem ..  looked like alot of a calcium

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,672
    Options
    That's just the silver in the contact tarnishing. It won't affect operation at 120v. They don't look bad, they are designed to pit and arc to some extent in normal operation.
  • Gord99
    Options
    Oh ok when I cleaned them up there was little white chunks falling off.. I just assumed that would affect the contact,  they look a alot cleaner though ..  
    thank you for the info .. 
    Gord