Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Circ. Pump Replacement Question

Stovepipe
Stovepipe Member Posts: 5
I am replacing a leaking B&G Little Red Booster with a Taco 007-F5 that I have on hand. The specs look reasonably similar.

1) I noticed in another circ. pump post it was recommended to use a full-face gasket. The supply house says they carry only the Taco gasket, and I see that it does fit into that little groove. Is this likely to be a concern?

2) When I took the B&G off, the bolts seemed like they were barely even hand tight. (No sign the old gaskets were leaking.) But how hard should I tighten the bolts? That Taco gasket sticks up quite a bit above the face. Am I supposed to tighten it until that is flattened down?

Comments

• Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 4,170
    edited January 2021
    The Taco gaskets should be all that you need. You want them a tad more than snug, but don't wail on them. If they leak when you pressurize, tighten them until the leak stops.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    BillyO
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,084
    I agree with @Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    snug + a little don't over tighten
    BillyO
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 6,051
    I know guys who will only use the full size gaskets, they say the Taco gaskets leak. I say they don't know how to tighten a flange. I've personally never had a problem with the Taco gaskets.
    To add to the above, tighten the bottom flange first, and make sure the piping stays plumb as you tighten the top. Snug each side a little at a time. 
    Make sure the existing flanges are clean and smooth. 

BillyO
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    I've only had those red full face gaskets leak. They turn hard as concrete in a few years and dry out and leak. Never had any of the square cur OEM Gaskets leak 
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    BillyO