Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Viessmann 200: Logical parts to have around ?

Options
TAG
TAG Member Posts: 755
edited January 2021 in THE MAIN WALL
Is there any "just a matter of time" ... part that I should have sitting on a shelf for my newly installed 200-W B2HA-19? Wondering if I should read up on the yearly service. Installers did a nice job and Viessmann has agreed to honor the warranty for the boiler .... A later 2013 model bought in 2015 (previous builder) before my project got into trouble. The installers don't run into many Viessmann in my area of PA anymore -- so no stocking of parts.

Also --- I came across a version timeline someplace. Viessmann's version naming is very confusing .... my unit is a B2HA-19 and in some literature that only show a B2HB -19. I'm assuming the B is a later unit?

Comments

• GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,692
    Options
    That’s the golden question, some parts are very expensive. Probably an ingitor/flame sensor is all you want to have, normally they last 4 to 5 years or so 
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • TAG
    Options
    Is that a single part ... ? Boy -- Viessmann makes looking up parts difficult.. confusing. They list a 7826515 as an ignition electrode .. in some boilers they also have an ionization electrode that looks to be made together with it. Some of the ignition electrodes have one probe .. mine is showing two.

Don't see a "flame" sensor ...
  • sunlight33
    sunlight33 Member Posts: 378
    Options
    Flame sensor is the ionization electrode. Ignition electrode has two probes.
  • GW
    Options
    whatever he said---not sure until i need to buy the stuff!
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • PerryHolzman
    PerryHolzman Member Posts: 234
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Great Question. My wife and I were just discussing what parts we should stock for a 14+ year old Vitodens 200.

I assume that you are the homeowner (just like myself).

You do need to know where the closest parts are stocked. In my case there is a Viessmann distributor about 100 miles away that has at least some of the parts. They only sell to heating contractors.

Boston Heating Supply is a Viessmann Distributor that can sell warranted parts to people outside of Massachusetts (I'm not sure if they can sell them to non-heating contractors within Massachusetts).

http://bostonheatingsupply.com/

Please note that the warranty period starts from your receipt date, not the install date. So warranties will likely expire on parts you stock in your home (and you have to pay to ship the part back). I actually had a bad brand new Vitodens main control card (very pricey); which was fortunate that I had not stocked it and that it failed in late April when the house would not freeze. So we suffered a cold week+ while the board was returned and a new one shipped (which worked). Note that I had Viessmann technical support work me thought the trouble shooting of their new control board end of April and provide me with the certification that the board would be replaced under warranty (and Boston Heating honored that).

Here is a combination of my experience, talking to the Viessmann Rep for my state (both the previous and current one), and various internet forums where people report on their boiler problems and opinions.

I was told that the most frequent failures would be the ignition electrode and the Ionization Electrode (flame sensor). Other forum postings indicate these are commonly replaced.

My experience is that I replaced these at 12.5 years as part of a larger overhaul which included a new fan "just because." The old ones are my current spares - as as far as I can tell they were working just fine.

However, they are fairly low cost - and easy to change yourself if you have the right tools, and basic mechanical/electrical skills.

At about 7 years the fan started to vibrate (later investigation after I replaced the fan revealed that at least my earlier version had a plastic fan disc that started to loose pieces - causing an imbalance). This vibration progressively got worse and by year 12 I had ordered a replacement fan, gaskets, etc and planned to replace it. The fall replacement got delayed until the control board failed in late April as my mothers health degraded and I became her caretaker.

Replacing the fan is a more involved mechanical/ electrical project. Doable if you have mastered taking the burner assembly apart for cleaning, etc. - and have the right tools. It's relatively costly; and my reading is that its a fairly common replacement item. My advice: Don't stock or replace it until it starts vibrating. But, my experience is that I should have replaced it within 1 years of it starting to noticeably vibrate. The vibration kept getting worse (and additional fan pieces apparently came off), and other things on the boiler failed that were likely caused by the vibration (in my opinion). That was the ignition transformer support tabs.

I was also told by the installation rep - and the Viessmann area rep that I the next most common failure was the "VR-20" control board - which plugged into the main control board. So I have a spare one of those - and the original from 14 years is still working well (this is a modestly expensive control board - and long out out of warranty). It is my understanding that the newer boilers do not have a separate plug in control card into the main control card. But they do have a "boiler specific" chip or device that plugs into the main control card. My internet reading says this can go bad. They are not that expensive and you might wish to stock one (there's a whole series of them depending on the boiler size and altitude you are at: Make sure you get the right one for your specific situation).

So my experience is that after 14 years I have replaced 3 items due to failures: Fan, Main Control Board, Ignition Transformer.

I replace the ignition electrode and the ionization electrode at 12.5 years as part of the fan replacement (they attach to the fan housing).

The only other part I have used: You can buy a small bag of the O-Rings used for the gas connection; which has to be disassembled/reassembled for normal boiler cleaning and service. This O-ring is robust and will last many cycles of assembly and disassembly. I replace it at 12.5 years; and am thinking of every 5 years for the future.

Two other things that I consider must have's if you are doing your own service (and 1 item that the boiler service company must have to ensure a long life of your heat Exchanger).

Viessmann sells a tool kit that has every tool you need to do all service (and change any part) for their boilers. I got that up front. The company that installed and serviced the boiler initially was impressed.

Viessmann also now offers a "Cleaning Putty Knife" (Part # 7840112) which is a must to keep the passageways clear for the spiral heat exchanger. This likely takes 20 minutes each year if nothing is plugged up. But very very important as especially the lower portion of the coils will plug up with combustion deposits. When they get plugged enough you have to replace the heat exchanger, or install a new boiler.

It turns out that I got this cleaning tool just in time (it did not exist when I got my boiler - and Viessmann only came out with it apparently a few years ago when a lot of boilers were failing due to plugged heat exchanges.

I spent 5 hours to dig out about 1/3 of the lower passageways on my Oct 2006 installed Vitodens boiler last year (at which point my hands were too sore, and I needed to finish up the boiler). I'll likely spend another 5 hours this summer digging out another third of them. Not sure how fast I will chase the last third.

Currently I have in stock the following spares: VR-20 Board, Burner Assembly to Heat Exchanger Gasket, Burner mesh gasket (I believe your boiler has a different burner and may not have that gasket). Gas connection O-rings. Used ignition electrode and the ionization electrode.

My wife and I were just talking in the last few weeks about stocking the solenoid valve (for indirect hot water heater - switches between heating circuit and hot water heating) and internal circulating pump as they are the next most likely things to go. We are also considering should we stock another main control board. It's a very pricey part; but could take up to 4 days to get when it fails again.

I've also been thinking about the external power supply module (which I don't believe the newer boilers use). Should I have a spare one of those as well?

I'm not considering stocking the main system circulator (Taco 007 F5) as the heating contractors in the areas all have those in their shops if not in their vehicles.

I wish you well with your decision and with your Vitodens Boiler.

The heat exchanger will last many many decades (50+ years) as long as its properly cleaned every year and not otherwise abused. The 316T (Titanium) material they use is a premium material that will outlast normal 316 SS by a lot.

Perry
    sunlight33
  • sunlight33
    sunlight33 Member Posts: 378
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Great info!
    Now, how long does the burner assembly to heat exchanger gasket last? If I clean the exchanger once a year do I need to replace the gasket too?

Another question, does Viessmann tech support deal with non-contractors? Last time they asked for my company name when I texted them.
  • TAG
    Options
    I'm just a homeowner .... but I have done about 50 projects over the past 30 odd years .. starting while in university. I'm a sucker for an old house. But have built new as well .... mostly small vacation places. I'm a heat and AC nerd ... so they always have more complex systems than would be the norm. The early bunch of Buderus cast iron gas boiler systems I did mostly myself ... it was hard to get knowledgable people in my area prior to around 2000.

What is the tool kit called? -- does it have a part number? The took kit and the cleaning tool seem like things I should have.
  • PerryHolzman
    edited January 2021
    Options

Great info!
    Now, how long does the burner assembly to heat exchanger gasket last? If I clean the exchanger once a year do I need to replace the gasket too?

Another question, does Viessmann tech support deal with non-contractors? Last time they asked for my company name when I texted them.

The burner to heat exchanger gasket is some form of silicon rubber. My experience is that it started showing some minor signs of leaking at about 10 years (which likely represented about 15 disassemblies/reassemblies as it was taken apart multiple times initially for training purposes). But, I only replaced it at 12.5 years when I replaced the fan/blower (a new gasket comes with the fan/blower kit). So I have a spare as I had ordered that gasket separately. However, knowing what I know now (and having seen the damage caused). I should have replaced it at the 1st sign of leaking - about 10 years.

Viessmann Tech support (Telephone call - not text) does deal with homeowners (at least they did up to at least 2019 the last time I talked with them). Tell them you are in an area with no heating contractor that supports Viessmann Boilers and that you would like to get your own case number for your boiler (which stays with you for the rest of your life with that boiler). Please have the boiler model and serial number available as they will want those.

Perry
  • PerryHolzman
    Options
    TAG said:

What is the tool kit called? -- does it have a part number? The took kit and the cleaning tool seem like things I should have.

My understanding is that the part number for the "Service kit" tool set is unique to the boiler series.

My personal took kit has a part number 9537070, which I understand is for Vitodens 200 WB2 boilers (Nov 2003 - June 2009). The Viessmann bar code tag says: "9537070 Service kit F/Vitod" (which I interpret the last part as a truncation of 'for Vitodens").

An internet search identifies that its for sale on Amazon, with a picture that matches my tool kit.

Now perhaps that tool kit works for other boilers as well.

I'd contact Viessmann Tech Support (or perhaps your parts supplier) and inquire as to the part number for the tool kit for your boiler. If you have an older boiler the correct tool kit may no longer be available.

Perry
  • GW
    Options
    50 years wow. Let’s hope so 
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • PerryHolzman
    Options
    GW said:

50 years wow. Let’s hope so 

I'm convinced the 316T heat exchanger will do 50+ years. The only question is... how many fans, main control cards, and other parts have to be replaced to do that; and how long will those parts be easily available (within several days) and at what cost?

A secondary question is who will do the technician work for the repairs once I no longer can do it.

Have a great day!

Perry
    Kybeans403