Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need a new boiler

Options
gd123
gd123 Member Posts: 2
edited January 2021 in Oil Heating
I have a Burnham boiler where we just moved to. Opinions are that it could last 10 minutes or 10 years. Has had some service in the past few months
Estimates on a new system vary as with opinions: But one specific estimate for a Pure Pro Trio P3 cast iron
cold start triple pass is significantly less costly. Minimal ( 2) zones. Is this a good deal or another cheap way to go?

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    @gd123

Sorry, but the rules of this forum we cannot discuss pricing. Please remove the # from your post.

If you post some pictures of your boiler and piping we can point you in the right direction. And a discription of your system and any problems

You might try "find a contractor" on this site
    mikeapolis Erin Holohan Haskell
  • gd123
    gd123 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Just wanting to know if the above mentioned ( Pure Pro Trio) boiler is a good boiler - for a small one story ranch ( 1500sq ft) with 2 zones ??
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,973
    edited January 2021
    Options
    @gd123,
    I have installed quite a few of the Pure Pro Trio boilers.
    I believe that this boiler line is set up as an inexpensive alternative to other major brand boilers.
    The customers and I am very happy with the line. Purchase this boiler with confidence.
    kcopp
  • MaxMercy
    MaxMercy Member Posts: 508
    Options
    gd123 said:

Just wanting to know if the above mentioned ( Pure Pro Trio) boiler is a good boiler - for a small one story ranch ( 1500sq ft) with 2 zones ??

In any case, I'd do a heat load calculation to make sure you don't oversize.

Regarding conventional designed boilers compared to mod/cons (which I suspect the higher priced boiler is), I wish I knew someone who has real world energy usage numbers after changing to a mod/con from a properly sized three pass or pin boiler.

I'm not a pro, and I can't reconcile the big difference in cost, the big difference in repair parts, and the big difference in life expectancy of a mod/con boiler compared to a more conventional cast iron boiler.

If I'm going to save $100 to $125 a year in energy costs with a mod/con at the expense of having to replace the whole thing again in 12-15 years, I'd rather pay the $125 each year and get 25-30 years out of a boiler. It will cost me $1500 more in energy usage (and I don't think it would even be that much) over 12 years, but that's nothing compared to what it would cost to replace a mod/con, even if I do the work myself.