Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pro's Opinion of the Groundfos UP10-16APMBU/LC Adaptive Recirc

Options
I contemplating having one of this installed with a dedicated return. My heating system Groundfos circulators work great. In the days of COVID I am home all the time so an occupancy sensor model is useless and my DW would never use a remote (has a hard time with TV remotes) . A time of day system might work, as long as we can also control wihen the dishwasher gets full . This looks attractive as it senses when you use water and over a two week period it looks at the usage and puts together a program. I understand while it is doing that it operates in a temperature mode and may run more often. Anyone have experience with this in real life?

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    So where is gravity recirc now illegal?
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,834
    edited January 2021
    Options
    The concept is valid, asking for anyone with experience with this is not going to get you much response IMHO. As a contractor, if i were to install something like this, My customer would be the best person to tell you their experience. I dought you would find the average customer on this site unless there was a problem that could not be resolved by the installing plumber.

That said, the conclusion would be that there are no problems with that particular device. I believe this is the only post on the device you will find on the internet with such an inquiry. Sometimes hearing nothing is a good thing.

I got a Supply House Job because I rarely called for help when I was doing the contractor thing. I was hired to replace the tech support guy who was leaving. My Tech problem calls to equipment purchase ratio was super low. When I got the job and started fielding 'contractor customer" problems, I got to know who was good at their job and who was not. The less you hear about a part (or person) the better it is.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    In some situations with the pump in the basement of a 2 story house, it will gravity flow with the pump shut off.
    I have seen it happen. So still illegal?
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    What if the WH is cranked to 130* and all the returning water is reheated to this temp?
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    Then we are all going to die...not many WH run at 160. :'(
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,293
    Options
    Hi @jimna01 , I know there might be trouble , but have a look at the remote push button control that gothotwater.com has. It's a simple thing and by pressing it before going for a shower, or whatever, it saves over 90% of the energy waste and you get quick hot water. Just leave one on the nightstand and life is easy!

About the legionella discussion, ASHRAE says 140 F kills the bug, but slowly. Also, if you get one foot per second flow in the lines, it scrubs the inside of the pipe so biofilms have a harder time growing and harboring legionella. So, although gravity systems can work for hot water, they will likely also help grow bugs.

Yours, Larry
  • jimna01
    jimna01 Member Posts: 34
    Options
    Quite a conversation. I am going ahead with the install, and yes my water heater is set to 130 and I am chlorinated city water. Install is this Thursday and I and I will report back in a week and then a couple of weeks after it has "programmed" itself.
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Why not occupancy? Wireless sensors and relay, placed where it sees you coming into bath room and ? Near kitch sink if needed. I think if you oversize recirc main pipe to 3/4 , oversize pump some for faster flow rate, this keeps the unneeded energy loss to a minimum. Pretty simple too. I had wired in my house and this set up. Appx 45ft from water heater to master sink. 1/2 record. Took appx 30 sec once I was at door of bathroom.