Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

IBC SL 28-160 ignition problems

I helped install a IBC SL 28-160 three yeas ago. We had the company we purchased the boiler from come out and initialize it. The 1st tech had trouble getting the boiler to ignite properly when adjusted to specs. He had a second tech come out with him with no better luck. They had IBC send out a rep. (Salesman) who was suppose to help get it set up correct. They determined it must have a bad gas valve and got a new gas valve and venturi to install. Same thing. They then set the oxygen and CO2 levels to the required levels, printed the results and proceeded to readjust the boiler to try to get it to ignite and burn properly.
They left us with a boiler that flashed back when ignited but otherwise performed as should only at a lesser efficiency. Last spring the venturi on the gas valve burned out so bad the boiler would not ignite. Luckily they left the original gas valve so we took the venturi from that valve and got the boiler to ignite and heat.
I know the contractor that initialized the boiler seems to be at a road block, and I have had no response trying to contact IBC directly. Is there anyone out there that knows how to set this boiler up? or who can I contact at IBC to get some real help?
Thank You for taking the time to read this.
They said the gas valve and venturi come as a set so we need to purchase the whole assembly when this next venturi fails.

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
    Where are you? In my experience IBC has been very responsive IF I have an issue.
  • koziolekroger
    koziolekroger Member Posts: 4
    I am in Southern Minnesota, Albert Lea area
  • kcopp
    Where did your contractor purchase the boiler? They should be able to get you/him in contact w/ IBC. They do have offices in Wisconsin. First supply is one of the major carriers of IBC products.
  • kcopp
    What does the outside vent and intake piping look like? Are you sucking in exhaust into the intake?
  • koziolekroger
    I am not sure where the contractor purchased the boiler. I will ask them today as I am hoping to meet with them again. We are intaking filtered air from the basement as this is a 70 year old house with all original windows, lots of air infiltration.
    Thanks
  • kcopp
    I know that IBC allows you so use interior air for combustion but It is really best practice to have the intake air brought in from outside from the same side of the house.
  • koziolekroger
    I have read and heard that before and am wondering if it is possible that would cause that kind of blow back at ignition, as the boiler seems to run fine, modulating from 28-160 MBTU smooth and quiet once ignited. If there is enough heat demand the boiler will modulate up and down switching heat loads back and forth without a sound, but if it shuts down even if only for a minute it puffs back at ignition. If I remove the door from the front of the boiler the ignition puff back gets worse but modulating still works great.
    Thanks