Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Main vents on antlers or candelabras should slope to drain condensate...HOW DO YOU DO THAT?

Roddy
Roddy Member Posts: 63
I've seen several references to multiple main vent set ups (on antlers, etc.) where it states "make sure the set up is sloped / angled back to the take off". I've read others say there's a number of ways to do this. All my T's, etc. are 90 degrees and my antler or candelabra is either parallel or perpendicular to the pipes lower than it, so there's no slanting angle as referenced. How do I get that slope? A T with an angle greater than 90 degrees? Please explain/enlighten this homeowner / novice. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Dan_NJ
    Dan_NJ Member Posts: 247
    If you install an antler all you need to do is point the antler in the "upstream" direction of condensate flow. The Antler will then inherit the slope of the main and will not collect condensate.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,576
    swing joint?
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    As Dan and Matt said above. However, to expound on what "swing joints" are; the first 90 off the top of the main can point in any direction, then a short nipple and another 90 can provide the slope needed. This is handy to avoid obstructions such as floor joists etc.
  • SteamingatMohawk
    SteamingatMohawk Member Posts: 997
    There are 45 degree, and 22-1/2 degree elbows in existence. 45s are probably reasonably available, the others maybe only at a plumbing supply place.

It just may take a bit of creativity to be able to use them.