Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Uneven heating

Options
Kirby83
Kirby83 Member Posts: 5
edited December 2020 in Strictly Steam
One side of the building is much warmer than the other.  Big mouths installed on the cold side which helped a lot but it’s still taking 17 minutes for heat to get to the furthest radiator.  Seems like the boiler is done running by that time so those rads don’t get hot.  There are 3 steel hinge repair clamps on that line.  1 installed before place was purchased,1 beginning of this year and one recently.  Placed 1/2” insulation back on the pipes until 1” comes.  Installing a new thermostat that has option for steam because I think the one on there now isn’t for a steam option.  

Previously there were valves controlling different units by their own thermostat.  Locked the valves open and placed central thermostat which got rid of the water hammering. Do I need to add more venting on the cold side?  Warm side has Hoffman 45 on those 2 main line returns.

67 foot of 2” main for that unit and pretty much same for the other colder unit on that side.  

I have a 6306 peerless steam boiler.  Thanks for the help!

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,936
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I'm a novice on steam vents and problem-solving on this subject. I do know that you need to get rid of the air before the steam can move in. So more air venting, or bigger capacity air vent at the end of the problem main. Next is the operating pressure of the boiler. The steam heads on this site will want to know what pressure the boiler is operating on. Should be below 2 PSI even below 1 PSI in most cases. So come back with that info for more help.

Pictures of the pressure controls and the pressure gauge while operating is also helpful

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• Jon_blaney
    Jon_blaney Member Posts: 316
    Options
    Is this a two unit dwelling with one boiler and thermostat? What is your experience. Has it ever run correctly? Maybe you need to think about slowing the steam distribution to the warm side to give steam a chance to reach the cold side. Maybe the thermostat is in the wrong location.