Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Donating Main and Radiator Vents

Options
Ps44
Ps44 Member Posts: 30
I have spent the last few years accumulating all types of vents (all bought from Supply House) from different manufacturers in the attempt to balance my steam system. As you can see from the picture they are all relatively new and have had little to no use. Now I have a surplus, some of which work and others which I am not sure works. Most of them are Gorton Vents. I sent Gorton an email three weeks ago about sending theirs back for recycling and I never received a reply from them. If one were to ask my opinion Hoffman Vents are better and those Big Mouth Vents really do work wonders. My lowest opinion is reserved for Heat Timers as I have only gotten one to work properly. Would hate to just toss these in the garbage which was my first instinct but am hoping someone could advise what is best to do with them. Many of you have been so helpful and I am happy to part with them by sending them to anyone or institution at my expense so they can be put to use or just for tinkering.
mattmia2danitheplumberDave T_2Erin Holohan Haskell

Comments

• Lard
    Lard Member Posts: 115
    Options
    Sent a PM. The steam system at the church I help maintain always needs a vent here and there and times are tight this year (for some reason...)
  • ksd99
    ksd99 Member Posts: 77
    Options
    That is very thoughtful of you! Happy NewYear
    New owner of 1 Pipe Steam Boiler - learning all I can- no real steam pro in S.W. Michigan - if you know of 1 -let me know.
  • Ps44
    Options
    Hi Lard,
    Please send me your address and will forward this week or as soon as I get a chance. Just be a little patient since getting to the post office or UPS store in these Covid times are challenging. Hope Everyone is having a great holiday and Happy New Year too.
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,973
    Options
    @Ps44 ... If you have some troubles donating these, your nearest habitat for humanities or a local trade school might be worth looking into for these items.
  • Ps44
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion. They have been accepted.
  • SteamingatMohawk
    SteamingatMohawk Member Posts: 1,008
    Options
    Just be aware of the large capacity of the HeatTimers and that they can't completely shut off venting.

See this for some eye opening information in the tables:

https://heatinghelp.com/systems-help-center/balancing-steam-systems-using-a-vent-capacity-chart/
    Rich_L