Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

[Solved] water dripping sound when heating system first started and about to end. Dangerous?

OllieW
OllieW Member Posts: 6
edited December 2020 in Gas Heating
Hi brilliant people,

I have been so frustrated with my furnace in the past few weeks, and I'm hoping to get a possible answer in this forum.
I have a York 80% efficiency furnace that's 5 years old. I've noticed some water dripping sound from the attic (where my furnace is) when the heating session first started and when it's about to end. It would usually slow drip for about a minute and stop gradually after that. There are no signs of water on the bottom of the furnace, and I could not figure out the location of the dripping. Is this normal or is this dangerous? And why do you think that this happened? Thank you so much for helping me with these questions!

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,998
    I know you wrote 80% but its definitely not a condensing furnace?
    Is there air conditioning attached, with a trapped drain?
    Is venting through the roof or out the side? What type of venting is it? 
    Is there a cap so rain can't get in?
    Are you sure it's a water drip? I can see a sloshing sound at the beginning and end of a cycle from water in the induced draft housing, but not a drip. And it should open a pressure switch. 
    Can the sound be heard if you record it and post it?

• unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Condensate dripping off the metal flue pipe? How long is the flue pipe run. Do you have a humidifier connected to the furnace? Dripping or ticking sound? Need pic's.
  • OllieW
    edited December 2020
    I think it's not a condensing furnace as the flue pipe is metal instead of plastic.
    There's no visible water near the furnace. There's no humidifier.
    And I'm not sure it's water drip. It just sounds like it's coming from inside the wall.
    I've recorded the sound but the forum doesn't allow mp3 format...
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,459
    Most likely it is the metal chimney pipe expanding, which can sort of sound like water. When the heat first comes on, the pipe heats up and expands, and is probably rubbing against something. Once the heating system starts, then the pipe stays hot and doesn't expand anymore, until the end of the year when you shut it off, and it shrinks back down. If it was a water leak, it would have showed up by now.
    Rick
  • OllieW
    Thank you all! I feel so reassured. Hope you have a great holiday!