Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What is this 100 year old or so tank?

mattmia2
mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,358
Any ideas what this insulated tank thing is?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/412764338844049/?multi_permalinks=3648372518616532&comment_id=3648418675278583

I think that this post is public

Comments

• retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 962
    edited December 2020
    To determine what that tank is for we will need better pictures of the tank and related piping . Move the camera back some for a wider shot so we can see more. How big is the house and what type of heating system?
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,296
    To determine what that tank is for we will need better pictures of the tank and related piping . Move the camera back some for a wider shot so we can see more. How big is the house and what type of heating system?
    Agree, this is a repost from Facebook. You can make your suggestion on the link @mattmia2 provided. 
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,084
    I would guess some type of condensate tank for steam. Can't see enough to tell
    STEVEusaPA
  • mattmia2
    It isn't my post. I think it is posted by the neighbor of the owner. I and a few others asked where the piping goes, they said it has been cut so there isn't much more than what you see there. The thing I find confusing is the loops from the top to bottom that seem redundant and have numerous valves. It seems way too large for a condesate tank.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Some sort of filter with a back flush?
    STEVEusaPA
  • mattmia2
    There is a post of a very similar model in operation on here from a few months ago.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,203
    June, 2019 my post of Museum piece water heater.
    Don't know how to attach..... :'( .

Had swastikas' on gas valve.
    Larry informed me it was a side arm heater, meant to heat a large tank by gravity flow.

Still in my garage.
  • motoguy128
    motoguy128 Member Posts: 393
    I was guessing an indirect tank for domestic water. There is something that looks like a control valve.  The large bucket device.  Maybe a Thermostatic valve. 
    mattmia2
  • mattmia2
    I thought it kind of looked like some sort of shell and tube heat exchanger. I guess putting it under the porch could be a good idea in the days before relief valves
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 962
    I think it may be a condensate return tank for a vacuum return system.