Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

OPTIONS OLD COAL FURNACE

Options
hankwylerjr
hankwylerjr Member Posts: 124
Does anyone have an idea of what to do with this coal fired unit? Don't want coal. I have only three rads hooked up to it it is in a three unit we own. I'm also thinking about just installing new gas boiler very small obviously or tie it right in to the second units boiler which can handle three extra rads 

Comments

• motoguy128
    motoguy128 Member Posts: 393
    Options
    Only 3 radiators? How is the rest of the house heated? Not sure if it’s really worth it unless you love the heat. Ive seen houses like this where most of the system have been removed and there’s just a fraction of the original load. the boiler short cycles and usually hammers a lot too. With coal, you could at least under fire it and damper it down to a low simmer.

If you have a natural gas already, then I’d put in a small steam boiler. Still a great way to heat.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,672
    Options
    Judging from the electromechanical controls and the baromatic damper it has or had an oil burner.
  • hankwylerjr
    Options
    There are 3 units same size both have separate gas boilers. This unit controls an efficiency unit 1 bedroom, small kitchen etc. Yeah maybe since the rads and pipe are present and in great shape small gas fired boiler might be the trick, gas meter is right above the coal bin would be easy to run a 3rd line in and there is actually a blank meter available outside. Ps you think it's oil?? 
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    How many meters in the building now?
    How many tenets in the building?
  • hankwylerjr
    Options
    There is a 3 unit outdoor green gas meter if that makes sense I don't know the actual name of it. The house was just purchased there is no one in the building yet as I have to start work after holiday. The one boiler is set to 60 degrees 
  • bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 917
    Options
    That looks like a stoker fired unit, not oil. Is the stoker to the right? 

Bburd
    mattmia2
  • hankwylerjr
    Options
    Yeah it was made in Peckville Pennsylvania this is water cut off here I'll see if I can get a model
  • hankwylerjr
    Options
    It's a van wert from peckville now I think Binghamton ny
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,859
    Options
    As an owner of a 3 unit building, Do you want to pay for the heating? If you have 3 gas meters or you have an easy way to have 3 different gas meters, you can rent the units and require the tenant to pay for the heat. Less chance of open windows in the winter that way.

If you connect the radiators from different units together, then you cant expect the tenant to pay the gas bill.

Something to think about when you decide on the best way to resolve the coal boiler issue.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• WMno57
    WMno57 Member Posts: 1,292
    Options
    You may be able to sell it here:
    https://coalpail.com/coal-forum/
    I DIY.
  • Robert_25
    Robert_25 Member Posts: 527
    Options
    That is a Van Wert stoker boiler, a very nice piece of equipment. They were made in Peckville PA, and replacement parts are available from A&B Van Wert.

Please do not scrap it - there are lot of people that would be happy to have it if it is still serviceable.
    WMno57 said:

You may be able to sell it here:
    https://coalpail.com/coal-forum/

That was going to be my suggestion as well.
  • MatthewKlein
    MatthewKlein Member Posts: 13
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Couldn't it be converted to natural gas?
  • bburd
    Options
    I’m sure a gas conversion gun could be installed. But I would be reluctant to put that kind of money into a boiler that looks to be 50 or 60 years old. 

The efficiency would probably be rather poor on gas. That is a large, high thermal mass boiler designed to burn coal, which means large flueways that tend to transfer heat poorly and lots of potential  air leaks into the combustion chamber.

Bburd
  • MatthewKlein
    MatthewKlein Member Posts: 13
    Options
    bburd said:

I’m sure a gas conversion gun could be installed. But I would be reluctant to put that kind of money into a boiler that looks to be 50 or 60 years old. 

The efficiency would probably be rather poor on gas. That is a large, high thermal mass boiler designed to burn coal, which means large flueways that tend to transfer heat poorly and lots of potential  air leaks into the combustion chamber.
    Just curious. The huge old coal boilers in the 1920's Masonic Temple here were converted and another 1910ish house in town with a gravity system had that boiler converted also.
  • bburd
    Options
    When were those conversions done? When fuel was cheaper, the boilers were younger and new boilers were not much more efficient than old ones?

Bburd
    mattmia2