Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil Tank Fittings

kcopp
kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
Is it allowable by nfpa code to use Megapress fittings on oil tank piping...vent and fill? Viega allows them as per their testing. I have seen a few tanks done this way but I was unaware that they got the final goodhousekeeping stamp of approval?

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    MegaPress G.
    I think it's in the new code, (I didn't get my latest yet), whether local AHJ's will adopt it yet is a whole other question.
    I'd print/bring Viega's info with you for the permit.
    I've been thinking about this too. Basic cost for just 1 1/2" male adapters and using regular elbows/nipples to make swing joints, etc., seems to add about $450.00 to the job.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• BDR529
    BDR529 Member Posts: 300
    The only reason I got the RP340 was for tank jobs. Getting to old to drag the threading machine around.

Last I knew it was not approved here in New England. Got My concerns on the o-rings with fuel/bio. Viton can be hard to come by.
  • STEVEusaPA
    BDR529 said:

The only reason I got the RP340 was for tank jobs. Getting to old to drag the threading machine around.

Last I knew it was not approved here in New England. Got My concerns on the o-rings with fuel/bio. Viton can be hard to come by.

Same one I'm using, very nice, right? I wish the tool and batteries/charger came in one case, and the heads were all in another case. Gotta loosen up before I pick it up...lol.

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,996
    How does Mega Press give you a swing joint?
  • STEVEusaPA

How does Mega Press give you a swing joint?

It doesn't. That's why I said male adapters.
    Press X Male adapter, regular elbow, close nipple, regular elbow, Press X Male adapter.
    Adds up quick $$$.

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,554
    Press is allowed under NFPA31 2020
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    kcoppSTEVEusaPA
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
    edited December 2020
    Mega press joints will swing. They do grip onto the piping but they will move under pressure.
    I saw a demonstration at the Colorado training facility where they put 600psi hydrostatic pressure on the line. They swung the fittings around and they still held....this on 3/4" blk steel.
    STEVEusaPA