Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Recent run of bad cad cells

426hemi
426hemi Member Posts: 79
The last batch of cad cells I purchased about a month ago had a 25 percent NFG right out of the box and 25 percent that failed in days weeks I have never experienced such bad quality control anyone else having issues with cad cells bought this year?

Recent run of bad cad cells 4 votes

Yes
0%
No
75%
Dave T_2Robert O'BrienBDR529 3 votes
I haven’t needed to buy any this year
25%
EdTheHeaterMan 1 vote

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Which brand? I noticed the generics that RE Michel sells kind of suck and end up reading higher than the Honeywell.
    But no problem with the Honeywell...yet (knocking on wood).
    But now that you mentioned it...
    steve
  • 426hemi
    These are Beckett branded cells (I think there made by Honeywell?) purchased in bulk, last year I bought the same cells from the same supply house never had a problem with them until this batch this year! Hopefully I just got a bad batch! The supplier claims no one has complained about them yet? Fortunately I didn’t use many before the callbacks started the damn things are failing and reading a dead short even with a finger over the eye.
    STEVEusaPA
  • STEVEusaPA
    I had something similar like that with a bunch of nozzles.
    With my database detailing every component on every piece of equipment I service, I was able to reduce my inventory substantially.
    The only thing I buy in bulk is filters and strainers. I'm fully stocked on nozzles, and replace as I use them.
    I probably only have 5 cad cells/complete kits on the truck. But I'm also in a pretty metropolitan area with easy access to RE & Sids
    steve
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    No
    Failing by showing flame present when dark? Have you ohmed them ? What readings?
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • STEVEusaPA
    edited December 2020

Failing by showing flame present when dark? Have you ohmed them ? What readings?

In my case, say the burner was running at 1500 ohms. Eye looks a little toasted, so I just switch the eye to a new one, and it would read like 2300 ohms. Same if I switched the wires too.
    I can't remember the brand, but they came in a strip of 5 (I think).
    steve
  • 426hemi
    0.000 ohms- 0.1 on the bad ones in the box (Unused) I said dead short! never seen one fail like this but I checked everyone in the box 10 were nfg shorted and of the 6 or so I used so far had 2 callbacks the cell reading on the second failed cell was 470k ohms (but was a different brand as I had discovered the issue and bought a different brand from a different place by then) with my flashlight shining in it no change, The first failed cell I never tested as I assumed it was just a rare early failure and simply replaced it with another cell, but was a low resistance failure as the burner never attempted to start. I had already tested all the cells after I replaced one and the burner failed to start I grabbed another and this got me interested so I tested all the cells in the box and found 10 shorted I bought some Westwood ones from a different location and then the second callback which was a typical high resistance failure. I’m trying see if this is a isolated incident or a massive problem hence the poll