Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replacement of old Plumbing Pipings and Shower Faucets

umichaelx
umichaelx Member Posts: 11
edited December 2020 in Plumbing
I own a 2 family house in South Ozone Park, Queens, NY 11420. The property is 65 years old. I will like to replace old plumbing pipelines and bathroom shower faucets throughout the house.
(1). Would you kindly recommend a good plumber who will work in my area, zip code 11420. I think a good contractor will have a BBB rating of A+.
(2). What is the best piping material for indoor plumbing in Metro New York residential houses? Copper , Brass, Pex.. etc.. ?
(3) Copper pipe crimping vs soldering. Which is the best method ?
(4). I currently have 3 handles for the shower and tub faucet - Should I replace it with a one handle system? What is the best brand of shower faucet? - money no object, and a product which would be easy to get replacement parts in the distant future. The 3 handles have served me well - they are almost 65 years old. Is the one handle shower trim now a code requirement for New York?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Look up top of this site on the "find a contractor" button and see if anyone is on the list.
    As far as the faucet itself, the three handle faucet has been outlawed for awhile due to the potential for someone to put on just the hot valve, and potentially get burned. Most bath faucets now are single handle.
    As far as the best one, that is like the Ford/chevy question. Depends on who you talk to . Around here, the most common ones are either Delta, or Moen, which are medium price valves. If yo really have a need to spend a lot of money, you could go with Grohe, but you would be spending a LOT for it. Great valve though.
    Rcik
    umichaelx
  • umichaelx
    umichaelx Member Posts: 11
    Thank you Rick.
  • lostinheating
    lostinheating Member Posts: 31
    I like moen bc they're lifetime warranty. One thing I will suggest is make sure you have branch valves for each bathroom so I'm case you need to fix shower body or a speedy valve you can shut off water just to that 1 bath instead of the main.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    edited March 2021
    I'd go kohler, american standard, or chicago faucet. moen used to be higher grade economy but they have increased their prices with fancy finishes such that you might as well buy kohler or chicago faucet for a little more.

Keep in mind shower valves will be inside a wall where they will be very difficult to replace the valve body so you want a valve body that will last for many decades and that will have parts support for the consumables for many decades in the future, you don't want some off brand shower valve ever.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452