Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

WM series 2 Ultra 155 Cracking noise

stephen11962
stephen11962 Member Posts: 40
I posted a series of messages, 12/2016 , first about b-25 error code and then a 'cracking' noise coming from the boiler, a WM series 2 Ultra 155. The b-25 code may be gone, I hope, not a problem for a couple of days now. The cracking noise persists. I thought that it was a noise generated by expansion/contraction of some part of the outlet piping during firing or cooling off. I could never locate the actual source of that. And I wonder if I had made the correct diagnosis.

WM talks about using Sentinel x200 Noise Reducer. Sentinel lists the following: "Reduces boiler noise + Helps restore boiler efficiency + Easy to handle + Simple to dose + Suitable for all metals including aluminium
Non-acid, non-corrosive + Manufactured under a quality system confirming to IOS9001."

So I have questions: Sentinel's pitch sounds like a snake oil patent medicine. Is it? Does anyone here have direct experience with the product and might it quiet my cracking? And if it could, how does one take a liquid out of a bottle and put into a closed loop water circuit under 10 +/- psi? I tried going to Sentinel's website for installation instructions and found nothing.

TIA

Stephen

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    If the cracking noise is emanating from the boiler the additive wont help.
    Has the boiler been pulled apart and cleaned?
    Sometimes the bolts, when tightened back in can be torqued in too much and this will cause that expansion noise. One solution is to add some ceramic grease to the bolt shoulders. hence allowing for smooth movement.

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    The "cracking" the treatment might occasionally help with is the kind caused by a layer of deposits insulating the surface of the inside of the boiler from the water and water boiling under those deposits. In some cases it may remove or prevent those deposits.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    edited December 2020
    When was the last time your Ultra saw a Maintenance Kit and had a combustion test? 
    It has an aluminum block. Use the Sentinel. Get to the Yellow. I use the pump purge method. It also comes in tubes made for a calking gun. If you don't have an electric gun then you better eat your Wheaties first.
  • stephen11962
    stephen11962 Member Posts: 40
    January 1, 2021 and Happy New Year!

Sorry I for the silence. A variety of stuff got in the way - including more time baby sitting the boiler. My last maintenance was a little more than a year ago. I got the maintenance kit, cleaned the boiler and put it back together.

kcopp I think you are accurate about the cause of the problem. My problem was I did not recognize it until doing the maintenance:
    While loosening the nuts on the alum cover plate off I triggered what seemed to be the crack sound I was complaining about. When replacing the cover I did not tighten the nuts as tight as before. My conclusion is that the specs for tightening were meant to compress the silicone gasket just enough to insure a good seal but not too tight, allowing for differential movement between two pieces of aluminum whose temperature would greatly differ. So far I have not heard any untoward noises.

The b-25 error message has not occurred again, but it probably too soon to hope that it has gone away. I may be back.

Thanks all.
    kcopp