Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ultra 230 series 1 E 18 lockout

Options
LEADPIPE
LEADPIPE Member, Email Confirmation Posts: 5
edited December 2020 in THE MAIN WALL
This boiler is 17 years old and has given me no problems to this point. Yesterday I woke up to a cold house. When I checked the boiler I got the high temp lockout. Reset the boiler and it ran fine the rest of the day but locked out, same code. Changed the sensors, didn’t solve the problem. Verified the water temp with an infrared thermostat. The boiler will run the space heater zones IF the indirect HW zone is shut off. If I turn on the WH zone it will get priority and work fine. However, once it shuts down water isn’t being moved through the primary loop and the boiler will overheat and lock out. I pulled the thermostat wires for water heater and the boiler has been working “properly” for hours. There hasn’t been any work done to the system but I bled the system just to rule it out. I also noticed a type of shimmy coming from the IDHW tank before the boiler starts to heat up, almost like it’s fighting itself. Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks!

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Is the indirect piped on the same manifolds as the space heat loop(s) or at the boiler, before the primary pump and separator Tee's?
    You're description is a little confusing. You say the space heat will run if the indirect is shut off. 
    Shut off how? At the aquastat, or physically turned off at the Ultra?
    The indirect works fine and is priority, but when the indirect satisfies the boiler won't switch back to the primary pump for space heat?
    What if you turn off priority? 
    What is max limit and max firing rate?
    Can you even set those parameters on a Series 1?

• LEADPIPE
    Options
    That’s because I’m confused
    It’s not in the same manifold
    Shut off at the aquastat.
    Correct, the indirect works fine but once it’s finished the boiler will overheat.
    I haven’t turned off priority
    When it was installed it was oversized so I did turn down the fan speed. I’m sure you can adjust the firing rate, have to look at the manual.

I think it may be an issue in the Taco box. When I turned on the hot water zone, it came on but I didn’t get a zone light on the box. I think it’s something outside the boiler.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    Options
    You have a Taco zone panel. SR50?
    Raise a heat thermostat then jump XX in the zone panel to see if the primary pump comes on. It should, along with the boiler for a space heat demand. If it does, the problem is the zone panel. If it doesn't, the problem is either a broken wire between XX and the connection at the boiler board, or the boiler board itself. 
  • LEADPIPE
    Options
    I have the SR506. I disconnected the primary pump wiring from the boiler and connected it directly to a power source so it runs constantly and the boiler is running without any issues. I have someone coming on Monday but at least I have heat until then.