Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

I'm done with IFC checks

Options
Solid_Fuel_Man
Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
I dont know what it is, just I've had more noise complaints and more issues with IFC's installed than the good old fashion weighted flow checks. 

I've used both Green pumps and Red pumps with the same resulting noises. I believe the plastic snap-in spring checks are pretty much the same for the two big circulator manufacturers. 

I've also has small pieces of crud stick in them, and power flushing hasn't dislodged it. Solder, copper shavings, teflon tape. The weighted units dont seem to hold onto things. 

It is always best practice to have 10 pipe diameters of straight pipe before a flow check, and that obviously isnt happening with these spring checks, I believe that is the majority of the noise. 

Anyone else have these same issues? 

Sorry for the rant, just had to remove another one and used a Taco swet-chek to solve the noise issue. The swet-cheks add a lot of head to the loop bit it doesnt seem to bother on typical residential systems. 
Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Hmmm, I think they have been used for 20 years or more now?
    I agree it is not an ideal location, close to turbulent conditions.
    You could leave them out until after the power purge and cleaning?

On the plus side, they are a low pop pressure, .35- .50 psi depending on the size. They are a conical shape, and a soft seat, ideal for a hydronic flow path.

The other concern is with variable speed circulators, there could be a low speed, flow condition that is not holding the check open fully? That would cause a weighted type check to chatter, or possibly not open also.

We had issues when tekmar variable speed circ controls first came on the market. The control logic tried to start the circ at low speed and ramp up as needed. The issue was the check didn't always pop at low flow start up. I believe the fix was to start the circ at 100% and ramp down to the low speed/ flow requirement.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Options
    Full disclosure, I'm a zone valve guy. So I dont install the IFC for the system pump. I typically use just one circulator for a system, indirect on a valve as well. 

It's when I'm on a trouble call on an existing system with zone circulators. I've heard many of these IFC's rattling away. Only speed 1 on most systems seems to quiet them. 

Grallert
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options

Full disclosure, I'm a zone valve guy. So I dont install the IFC for the system pump. I typically use just one circulator for a system, indirect on a valve as well. 

It's when I'm on a trouble call on an existing system with zone circulators. I've heard many of these IFC's rattling away. Only speed 1 on most systems seems to quiet them. 

And they are purged really well? I find any small amount air in the fluid stream can get a check rattling.
    Yet another reason to use microbubble type air eliminators.

Sometimes breaking the "best practices" rules have consequences, even when manufacturers do it :)
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,170
    Options
    I've never had any problems with IFC flow checks. I'd like to hear what the rattling sounds like.  
    STEVEusaPA
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,546
    Options
    I have had problems with continuous noise on some Buderus mod cons with the factory supplied boiler pumps. Called Buderus and they said to take the checks out. If you have seen where their pumps are mounted that is not a small job
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    Not too many problems here , I do install them on the supply. Are you still installing circulators on the return . Sure sometimes in the beginning of the season air could trap on the first of the line ..
    I was not sure with spring checks when they first came out . But I am comfortable with them now . I found teflon tape in some but I found in flow checks too

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Solid_Fuel_Man
    Options
    I've been pumping away for 10 years. Best thing I ever did!

The noises are not air, its velocity noise only goes away with the circulator on speed 1 (0015) or mode 1 (alpha1 15-55).