Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replacement Radiator

Options
I have an older apartment building that uses steam heat and in some of the units the radiators have been replaced with an aluminum type which do not hold the heat as well as the old type I have attached 2 pictures 1 of type that is not working well and 1 which we would like to find to replace it. the size is 14" high, 33" long. I am not sure why it was replaced. the stack that the poor working radiator is on is working well these types just do not have the heat stay with them very long. any ideas where to purchase radiators

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,852
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Local scrapyard may have something that might fit.
    New are available from some foundries like Burnham Base Ray and Weil Mclain #9
    There are also some European radiators in this country.
    Try eBay and other internet sites.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 907
    Options
    You can not use a piece of baseboard radiation on a steam heating system to replace a standing cast iron radiator and expect the space to stay warm. It is obvious that the people maintaining that building are not well versed on steam heating.

I searched for "used steam radiators and came up with a bunch of sources. When you find the radiator that you want make sure that you replace the inlet valve and the steam trap
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,298
    Options

President
    HeatingHelp.com