Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

GB 142 service

kcopp
kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
When doing a 5 yr service on a GB 142 what parts typically does one need to replace? Customer called me today and needs a cleaning... never been done in 5 years.

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,556
    edited December 2020
    I have installed several and found that the service is fairly easy. there are "Rubber" gaskets that are reusable. You should be able to clean the flame sensor. You may need to replace it if the corrosion from combustion has gone too far.
    Finally, the condensate trap is a little difficult to remove and I have experienced them cracking. I was able to patch it up for temporary operation until I was able to get a replacement. For the most part, the condensate trap will be fine.

Let the consumer know that this needs maintenance annually. It's in the instruction manual. It starts on page 49
    http://s3.supplyhouse.com/product_files/GB142-24-LP-Install.pdf

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

kcopp
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,556
    edited December 2020
    Add operating the relief valve to your maintenance procedure. let the consumer know that it is included at no charge, however, if the PRV fails the "operation," it will need to be replaced and the charge is $**.00 (we don't talk price here but you can use your own fee structure)

Here is your official reason for operating the relief valve. This is part of what is on the yellow tag on every PRV

WARNING: Following installation, The valve lever MUST
    be operated AT LEAST ONCE A YEAR to be sure the water-ways are clear. Certain naturally occurring mineral
    deposits may adhere to the valve, rendering it inoperative.
    When manually operating the lever, water will discharge and
    precautions must be taken to avoid contact with hot water
    and to avoid water damage. BEFORE operating lever, check
    to see that a discharge line is connected to this valve directing
    the flow of hot water from the valve to a proper place of disposal
    otherwise personal injury may result. If no water flows,
    valve is inoperative. TURN OFF THE WATER HEATER AND
    CALL A PLUMBER IMMEDIATELY.
    This device is designed for emergency safety relief and shall
    not be used as an operating control.

I would replace 15 or more relief valves a year as a result of this inspection during a paid maintenance visit. We did over 400 of these maintenance visits a year. That made for a nice add on to the "Low Price" maintenance calls we offered. And the customer could feel safe that the safety device was going to protect the investment of that boiler.

We did not go crazy with unnecessary parts replacements, we only did the service the customer needed and wanted to be sure the heating plant is safe.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

kcopp