Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

I was wondering if this is gauge is correct

mard9
mard9 Member Posts: 3
edited December 2020 in Gas Heating
Is this gauge correct? I turned the heat off early this morning because it smelled like it was hot in the kitchen and around the boiler  it never smelled like that before  

Comments

• Leon82
    Leon82 Member Posts: 684
    It appears to have broken the red needle off.

The gauge is suspect. Reads no pressure but it could me wrong. It needs to be replaced
  • Leon82
    If you  have to run it I would baby sit it
  • mard9
    So should I turn the heat on or call maintenance? 
  • mard9
    I had the heat off overnight. I don’t know if I should turn the heat on or not. 
  • Leon82
    If it smells wrong you should call a service person.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,326
    edited December 2020
    OR... It could be just fine. If the boiler is at 70° temperature then the thermometer portion is accurate. If there is no pressure in the boiler because the water is cold and the water feed valve is closed, then the pressure gauge is accurate.

Anyone that can diagnose a defective gauge from that picture is either a Clairvoyant or a (my mother said if you don't have anything once to say...).

It is only a gauge that gives you an indication of the conditions of the system. The real important issues are addressed by the controls and valves that make the system operate safely.

Your concerns should not be the gauge but the important parts.
    1. When was the last time you had a professional inspect the operation and do the recommended maintenance items that are listed in the installation manual?
    2. Have you operated the relief valve at least once a year? it is in the instructions on the yellow tag (or green tag in some cases)
    This is part of what it says on the tag:

WARNING: Following installation, The valve lever MUST be operated AT LEAST ONCE A YEAR to be sure
    water-ways are clear. Certain naturally occurring mineral
    deposits may adhere to the valve, rendering it inoperative.
    When manually operating the lever, water will discharge and
    precautions must be taken to avoid contact with hot water
    and to avoid water damage. BEFORE operating lever, check
    to see that a discharge line is connected to this valve directing
    the flow of hot water from the valve to a proper place of disposal
    otherwise personal injury may result. If no water flows,
    valve is inoperative. TURN OFF THE WATER HEATER AND
    CALL A PLUMBER IMMEDIATELY.
    This device is designed for emergency safety relief and shall
    not be used as an operating control.

3. The red needle has no automatic function. It is a manually set indicator to mark a location only. You can do this with a red sharpie, or you could remove the plastic cover and reinsert the red needle yourself.
    4. You can test the accuracy of the pressure gauge by installing a test gauge on the valve just below the verticle copper return pipe. It has a gray handle. these gauges are available from Big Box stores or hardware stores. The people who install lawn sprinklers use them to test water pressure all the time.
    5. Finally, Read the installation instructions for your boiler. in particular the Maintenance section of the manual. If you don't have them, they are available at https://www.weil-mclain.com/sites/default/files/field-file/cgi-series-2-manual_1.pdf
    They only dedicate 5 pages to the subject of Service and Maintenance starting on page 43

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,326
    Are you renting the location?
    If yes, are normal maintenance items included in your lease?
    If this is something the landlord will pay for, then by all means get a pro to service the thing.
    If you are responsible for paying for the maintenance, then I would include that in your annual budget and have a maintenance and safety check every year.

If you are a handy, DIY kind of person there are several items you can do yourself but don't get in over your head.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,180
    It could be nearly out of water and overheating.
    Do you see the fill valve anywhere?
    Do NOT add water if boiler is hot!
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    I would put my own gauge with the hose bib attachment on the drain to check pressure. And you can use a clamp on meter to check the temperature.
    I would do that first before adding any water.

There was an error rendering this rich post.