Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Beckett R7184b troubleshooting

ezrastiles
ezrastiles Member Posts: 1
edited December 2020 in Oil Heating
Thanks in advance for your help everyone.

I've got two oil furnaces in my basement running Beckett R7184b primaries, one for the ground floor and basement and one for the second floor. The one for the ground floor/basement tripped yesterday for some reason and went into restricted mode (blinking green light). I pressed the reset button, ignition was successful and I could see the flame through the window. After about two minutes, a rumbling sound started coming from the furnace. This lasted about 30 seconds, then the primary tripped again, went into recycle mode (slowly blinking green light), then finally went back into restricted mode.

Anyone have any idea what might be going on? I am hesitant to try to reset the unit more than once, but am hesitant to call a serviceman if I can help it. The house is a tolerable temperature since the furnace serving the upstairs is working well.

Comments

• MaxMercy
    MaxMercy Member Posts: 507
    ^^^ Yes, do NOT push the reset button. It's also not the control causing that. A rumble and flameout have to do with the oil delivery.

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Get the tech out there now, while it's a simpler fix with milder weather. We're all getting busier rather quickly.
    The more you push that button, the bigger potential disaster you're creating.
    steve
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    How much oil in the tank? Sounds to me like it starves for oil after it starts to run. Plugged filter?

Call your service tech
    Dave T_2