Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

In ceiling radiant heat

Options
I have a hot water radiant job that is having trouble heating the space. The distribution system is copper tubing in the plaster ceilings. The pump runs but the water is just not circulating through the system. 

The homeowner said that the system was very low on water when he checked it this year and added some before I arrived.  

I am thinking there is some air in the system, What I can not figure out is how to get the air out of this type of system where all the piping is above the boiler. I went in the attic looking for some type of bleeder valve but could not find anything. Anyone have experience with these types of systems? If so, your input would be appreciated. Thanks 

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    edited December 2020
    Options
    The only one I have seen had a bleed port/vent in the attic hiding under insulation to keep it from freezing.

Or in case I added a tap with a 1/4" line going down to the boiler room, do you see anything like that in the basement....just a small tubing hang down with maybe a valve on it?

If nothing like that, then power purging from the basement would fill it.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,859
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Are there any valves near the manifold where the branches go into the ceiling? Are there even any manifolds?

If no vent at the top you either power flush/purge or add a vent at the highest point. You get to pick what is easier.

If it worked before then there is a way to do it. You have to find it.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• Sryan63123
    Sryan63123 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    There is a 1.5” Supply and return run running around the perimeter of the house and there  are several areas where the branch runs go up into the basement ceiling and end up eventually in the main floor ceiling.  Overall there are about 20 circuits so, power flushing it would be difficult, I’m not excited about trying to close off and circuits to build velocity given the age and how the valves look. 
    I will look for that vent line, if it’s hidden under insulation in the attic somewhere, the homeowner has no idea where it is. 

Can you explain how you would power flush this? Would I have to close off individual circuits?