Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dead Men Tales: What the 1918 Flu Taught Us About Heating During a Pandemic

HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 635
edited December 2020 in THE MAIN WALL

What the 1918 Flu Taught Us About Heating During a Pandemic

In this episode, Dan Holohan shares how the 1918-19 pandemic changed the way we pipe heating systems and the type of windows we use, why radiators are painted silver, and what we can learn from history.

Listen and subscribe here.

Comments

• mitch101
    mitch101 Member Posts: 22
    edited December 2020
    Profound analysis. I work where the bosses conceal covid-positive workers' condition, using outmoded ADA confidentiality law. Mr. Holohan's describing the WWI concealment of influenza spreading among the soldiers' ranks to hide weakness from our enemies sounds so similar. We invented ADA and non-openable windows in poorly-ventilated office buildings because we don't have a world war to reduce the population. Nature works in mysterious ways.
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • Dave_132
    Dave_132 Member Posts: 64
    We have come full circle round. I have always been skeptical of compromising indoor air quality for the sake of energy savings. There is risk of high levels of airborne transmitted germs and viruses not to mention Carbon Dioxide and others. Over the course of my time in the trade i have worked in many sick buildings. It takes more than an air freshener to correct their problems.
    In a world of compromise , some men don't !
  • breeve
    breeve Member Posts: 8
    I enjoy these podcasts. Yooay Dan Holoran! We need some numbers to work with, though, for engineers who sometimes like numbers. At one point in our energy conserving concern period, we though that the y lower the number of "Air Exchanges per Hour" the better, to the extent that keeping the same air in the house for a whole winter, one might suppose,was the ultimate goal. BUT -- what is the right volume of flow into and through the building / house ?? Are there good ways we can calculate between heat loss and new air gained, using readily ascertained parameter values? We need another podcast.... (with some numbers...?)
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    For your consideration:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/09/200929130301.htm

"Keep windows open and wear a mask appears to be the best advice," said Linden. "Clearly that's less of a problem in the summer months, but it's a cause for concern in the winter months."
    Retired and loving it.
  • DanHolohan
  • Hoagie
    Hoagie Member Posts: 6
    Thanks, Dan. Really enjoyed that one. My favorite line is "Everything old is new." Hogie
  • DanHolohan
    Thanks!
    Retired and loving it.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    This advice will be spread along by me , Thanks for the info .
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • DanHolohan
    Thanks for sharing it!
    Retired and loving it.
  • Kickstand55
    Kickstand55 Member Posts: 109
    I've been working this trade for 44 years. This does not make me a some kind of big shot either.
    It has frustrated me, that, when I worked for other employers, I was told, in a way, " Don't change anything, I fixed it so they won't complain"." We have a service contract, do only what you have to do to make it run".
    Where this is going concerns roof top heating and cooling systems. Well, sort of anything for that matter.
    I have found fresh air dampers disconnected, wired shut or partially open/shut, whatever you may call it. Air filters so clogged they have collapsed and sucked into the blower wheel.
    Filters missing without a trace. Coils so full of debris it's a wonder any air ever passed through.
    The complaint was something like: It's making a funny noise or there is a odd smell. Somehow, to me, it wasn't funny. I couldn't even muster up even a chuckle. I'd rather go to a comedy club and have a few laughs.
    They are there for a reason, and if properly designed, installed and serviced, work well, provide good air flow and air mixing.
    I don't work for another employer anymore, nor do I service rooftop units. I finally had enough of the bull and went to work for myself, but really for the customer.
    The slipshod practices of some HVAC/P businesses has disgusted me. Note: some. It's a shame.
    So, with all this being said, bringing in fresh air helps the environment in public buildings, cuts the rate of infection and creates pleasant conditions. I have a belief that lack of air exchange has contributed to the spread of Covid in healthcare facilities. Only a belief.
    My congratulations to the top notch contractor though, where money is not the primary goal. You folks are the best!
    I enjoy having a good customers that appreciate what I do because they tell others, and in turn, I'm grateful.
    Kickstand
    CLambPhilco
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    For your consideration: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/09/200929130301.htm "Keep windows open and wear a mask appears to be the best advice," said Linden. "Clearly that's less of a problem in the summer months, but it's a cause for concern in the winter months."
    It shouldn't be an issue for the south fork McMansions in the winter. Most heating systems are at least triple in size, and HERS rated. We do have one client who keeps a 40 ft wall of sliders open all summer and asks why there's insufficient cooling. 
  • OSBMXER
    OSBMXER Member Posts: 5
    "The Spanish Flu Pandemic changed how we pipe, and the type of windows we used..." might be a bit of a stretch. Our gilded age manse was built in 1917 and put on paper in 1916. All of our radiators are in front of windows. Maybe you're simply referring to what became accepted in mainstream construction methods, but that might also simply be technical progression that happened to coincide with the 1918 pandemic. It's kind of like how mainstream thought today convolutes that the Civil War was about slavery...when in reality is was started over completely different issues. Sometimes knowing too much about history can distort the historical facts of the time.