Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Multi zone pump relay

Options
bob eck
bob eck Member Posts: 930
Looking for a multi zone pump relay that can keep the circulator pumps running after the boiler turns off.
Would be used on a condensing boiler that is piped primary secondary no water would be flowing through the boiler. This relay would keep system pumps running getting heat in the 2” or larger pipes in the basement up into the cast iron radiators in the living space. Run these pumps 3-10 minutes after the boiler turns off.

Comments

• unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    The condensing boilers I have seen all have the ability to run a post pump in their setup options.
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,166
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I have seen Tekmar zone controls that I believe have that capability, maybe not for ten minutes.  
    You could probably achieve this with a strap on aquastat and a little bit of wiring. 
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,113
    Options
    I ve been faced w the same issue . Have you looked at taco exp relays I’m not sure if they worked that into there relays it would be nice but can’t get everything in one same box . On a few that I didn’t want constant circ through the boiler but just the system I used a simple ranco etd and mounted the sensor out doors and set for 65 to run pump . The thermostat just cycles the boiler it worked out great . I guess your could work in a break on delay relay w dp rib relay breaking the boilers end switch and keeping the system pump or zone pump running based on a timer sounds like a lot of wiring and fiddling about . I would guess your running a few zones more then can be used w the boilers pump circuits . Have you tried contacting taco and see what they say they may have a something that would plug right into the expandable relay . You could just set that zone up as I suggested or use a aquastat to cycle the pump till supply temps drop or figure a normal open contacts w a timer . I think for all the trouble I would just go w constant circ on the zone your concerned with . Is the mod con programmed w a post circ run time . I when installing mod con usually set it to run for 3 minutes mim on the post purge but that just the boiler pump relay and system pump if tied into and if only one zone . I have done it w the boiler pump being on but did not like the temp drop across the boiler being it was more then the system drop due to a short flue and just thermal migration to cold outdoor air .It always something when u think outside the box but that usually where the problem solving happens . As I get older I look for simpler solutions like panel rads and trv s , buffer tanks and constant circ especially w mod cons and low supply temps and only 1 stat possibly w some remote sensors a thing of ease and non complexity. You would think in this day and age we would be able to run a circ to thermal purge a boiler at the end of a call for heat and or send that excesss btus to a indirect tank . I guess we ll have to look to Engerny Kenetics for that or if some one remembers the ray boiler w it’s trackable zone system that remembered each zones characteristics and would use that to determine average cycle / run times and that to determine fire rate . I think that was the only good thing about the ray boiler aside that it looked like a big Stanley tape measure to bad they don’t just sell that controller I certainly would use it on a multi zone mega mansion I could see it being usefully in thermal purge and mirco zoning and preventing short cycling aside from lower fuel consumption . Hope it helps peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
    bob eck
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    Honeywell AQ 2000 series has that capability, it might have been discontinued? Tekmar has the capability. The others all offer only a short purge period to the domestic zone
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    bob eck
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Options
    Clammy check out these steel panel radiators

http://qhtinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/ECOSTYLE-CV-LIT-111319-2.pdf

I have these in stock and we are getting in 10, 20 and 30 gallon buffer tanks.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,113
    Options
    Nice panels looks the same as buderus ,dianorm and a few other . Just wondering how’s there pricing in comparison ,I was just looking at and pricing beacon Morris panels ,it funny everybody stock miles of baseboard but panel rads forget about it even mentions one and they look at u like ur crazy . I find it the funniest that in Germany you ll be hard pressed to see anything else maybe a towel rack in the can but that’s about it . It seems just about every plumber states those things are crazy expensive lol ok let’s run a loop add a zone valve and stat and micro zone it to death ,panel rads should be in every home and if you got a mod con it’s a no brainer . Thanks for the link I ll check them out Peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating