Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Air separator w/ compress. (threaded) fitting?

sunlight35
sunlight35 Member Posts: 35
edited November 2020 in THE MAIN WALL
For homeowner without soldering skills, is air separator w/ compression fitting (threaded) such as Spirovent a good choice? I can see the convenience during installation and future removal if it needs replacement, but I am wondering if compression fitting is as reliable compared to sweat joints. Thanks!
Edit: Looks like Caleffi and Taco only offer their air separators with either sweat or press, threaded from Spirotech would be more suitable for less handy homeowners like me, I just want to see if there is any negative about them from the pros here. =)

Comments

• psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 888
    Do you mean "compression fittings" or "press fittings"? I think Spirovent comes in three options: 1.) threaded, 2.) sweat or 3.) press.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,801
    Compression fittings are very common in Europe, many boilers, solar, radiator valves and other components use them.
    You may be looking at a grip type connection? Not my first choice but they do work and hold.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,356
    Compression fittings are fine but expensive. If you are in to more than a couple fittings it might be more economical to invest in a large flaring tool and use flare fittings. Shrakbite fittings are technically legal in most cases, but I wouldn't recommend them.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,201
    What size of copper are you talking for a Spriovent?
  • sunlight35
    sunlight35 Member Posts: 35
    edited November 2020
    1 inch copper. I meant threaded connection, which you simply cut away 60mm pipe then connect the device using compression sleeves and nuts provided. (please see 1:50 of video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLq0DGFSiKs)
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 2,030
    Those compression joints are fine if properly installed, but that is a dirt separator not an air separator. Most of us here are from the states and are not familiar with Spirotech, but their North American sister company Spirotherm which does not offer a compression style air separator. A lot of our dirt separators are compression though, and like I said are a quality joint when properly installed