Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco Cartridge Circulators

Options
I love the idea of only having to replace the cartridge on a circulator when that's the only thing that's wrong with it, but more often than not, the O-ring that you get with the cartridge won't make the seal and it leaks. It's just not thick enough.

This was one of their zoned pumps with a built-in relay. None of my local suppliers had one in stock, so we ended up installing a new pump with a pump relay.

8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab

Comments

• BillyO
    BillyO Member Posts: 277
    Options
    suppliers are the biggest obstacle these days in a fast repair
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,852
    Options
    I have had no problem that way. I like to change the cartridge or even the entire pump by leaving the housing still attached to the piping. Sometimes I find it easier that way. I'm not happy about the change from the 5/16" nut driver to the Allen Wrench screws because I have an extra-long nut driver, but I can't always find extra-long Allen wrenches.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

MaxMercySTEVEusaPA
  • Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 707
    Options
    Hi Allen
    Thanks for sharing your experience with your Taco pump. Taco 007 pump does allow you to replace cartridge assembly and 0-ring. If you provided your supplier the complete model number located on pump tag, they will supply you with correct cartridge and accompanied 0-ring too. Assembly stack up can be confusing, but doesn't need to be. The pressure plate sits on the motor housing first, and then you slide the cartridge assembly through pressure plate and into motor housing. The 0-ring sits in the machined seat located in the casting. If you follow methodically, it will not leak. If you continue to have issues with your replacement parts, please reach out to Taco tech support for instructions. They can be reached at 401-942-8000, and ask for tech support. hopefully this was helpful.
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    Hi Joe:

The pump was a 008-ZF6-2IFC and I used a 008 replacement cartridge along with the supplied o-ring. The old and new o-rings looked alike, but we were unable to get a leak-free job and tried multiple times.

Part of the problem is keeping the o-ring in place while assembling the parts. Assembling the parts as you described above and then trying to push the assembled motor/ plate/cartridge into the volute without disturbing the o-ring was impossible. The impeller on the 008 is as big as the opening on the volute and even with your head up against the wall, it's very difficult to guide the assembly without bumping and dislodging the o-ring.

We placed the cartridge on the o-ring in the volute and held it there while we added the plate and motor.

Youtube videos show the replacement assembly on the wholesaler's countertop with the motor in the vertical position. They make it look easy, but you never find a motor in that position.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,909
    Options
    This is why I run Grundfos circulators ;)