Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco 1600 series

hvac908
hvac908 Member Posts: 1
In Taco's installation manual of the 1600 series pump it is stated that no supports should be installed under the motor and that the motor bracket connected to the pump housing is sufficient enough.  What would the drawback of installing a piece of strut under the bracket be?  If the strut was just pushed up against the bracket, motor can still flex on startup, to prevent damage from someone accidentally stepping on it or something falling in it.  Thank you

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,084
    I have seen it installed both ways. It is not a small pump. I see no harm in putting strut underneath it with a piece of rubber underneath it. We used to use roof walkway pads "carry tread". I have also seen it with a big clevis hanger around the pump with a Mason vibration isolator "spring hanger". Taco probably does not want the pump pulled out of alignment.

But I suppose Taco would not like those options
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    I think B&G says the same for their Series 60 pumps. I used strut, rod, and rubber anyway. 
    Steve Minnich
  • SteveSan
    SteveSan Member Posts: 245
    Any kind of supports or hangers could lead to misalignment, coupler failure, and seals leaking. It would void any Taco factory warranty on the 1600 series pump. Any questions please call into Taco Tech Support @ 401-942-8000 Mon-Fri 8am-5pm EST.
  • Good point Steve. Also, I think one of the issues in the old days was using the pump to support the pipe, which is a no-no.

Lastly, if vibration isolation is not used the pump support could transfer vibration to the building.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,556
    Support the piping... Not the motor

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

SteveSan