Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dead Men Tales: My Father’s American Dream

HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 659
edited November 2020 in THE MAIN WALL

In this episode, Dan Holohan shares stories about growing up on Long Island, NY in the 1950s, the bungalow his dad built, and hydronic heating.

Listen and subscribe here

Comments

• Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,661
    Great story, as usual. Takes me back, for sure. I remember watching the plumber putting in an American Standard boiler in my parent's new house when I was 4. Years later I waited on the same plumber many times while working at my dad's supply house.
  • jerryb46
    jerryb46 Member Posts: 59
    brings back good times,a little older then you. I too enjoyed playing with the boiler but it was steam and fired coal,another story.Great reading
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,577
    Thanks for taking the time to listen. I'm so glad Erin invited me to do this!
    Retired and loving it.
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • mitch101
    mitch101 Member Posts: 22
    Sounds like nobody watered those beer cans. Duh!
    Erin Holohan HaskellMikeL_2
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,459
    Hi, I liked the solar shower story (and the rest)! I heard a story about the most efficient solar collector ever built. I was kept under wraps at a solar energy society meeting. Unveiled, it was simply a metal trash can, painted black. It outperformed everything else! You clearly had a really efficient solar system. B)

Yours, Larry
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • cliger
    cliger Member Posts: 2
    Never a disappointment when reading your stories, Dan. Please don’t ever stop.
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • johnlobb
    johnlobb Member Posts: 23
    Hi, Dan! Another great story! Fremont would have loved reading it! Thanks again for sharing! John Lobbestael
    MikeL_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,354
    Gives me such great memories of my childhood vacations..we took stayed in glorified shacks...and loved it..Lake Ronkonkoma is not as pristine as it was, but still has VG Walleye and Bass Fishing till this day...I believe it is Bigger than Lake Success on the Queens/ Nassau Border. Dan, I love the story about your dads co-worker who would come out to help build it...The Old Tough Guy with the Pliers for disfigurement of Truck Hijackers in the Old Days...what wasbhis name again? Mad Dog 🐕
  • DanHolohan
    Billy Escowitz
    Retired and loving it.
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,354
    I love that guy..What brand of Beer 🍺 did they drink? Rheingold? Mad Dog 
  • DanHolohan
    Yes!
    Retired and loving it.