Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Restoring an old set of radiators...

1Johnny
1Johnny Member Posts: 2
Hello to all of you pros out there. I am a retired Army Vet. in Toledo trying to restore a home so I can retire properly and get some rest. I had 11 radiators, (4 @ 5 fins each and one @ 10 fins for the units upstairs, and one each at 17, 16, 13 fins each plus 2 @ 10 and one long squatty unit about 5 feet long for the 6 units downstairs). I had to pull all but one out from downstairs and only one from upstairs so I can start working on the leaks before returning them to service. I have capped off all the send and return water lines from the radiators I pulled out. Now, I am trying to separate these and wanted your advice. They are all the old ones that seem to be threaded to one another via an internal threaded collar. They do not have the rods running from end to end compressing the unit together so I am thinking that means I will have to do more work. Will I have to use a spud wrench and take off the ends and keep on until I get to the piece I want to remove or replace? I have seen people use a sawzall to separate them, but I don't want to damage these beautiful radiators... and I appreciate the heat I am already able to gain with the limited system. Looking for any advice from you who know. Let me know if you need pics. Also, I am considering replacing the water lines with PEX AL PEX since the previous home owner let a lot of this system freeze over and fail. I was thinking of replacing the whole system with 1/2" PEX AL PEX also since I will be opening walls and would like to get another 100 years out of this system... pass it on to my kids and all. Again, any advice of yours is appreciated and my skin is thick so if I am doing something that gets me the **** award, let me know.

Comments