Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Zone control valve to switch on taco cartridge circ?

Hey all-
Bear with me, I've been trying to Macgyver this issue since it was butchered by my contractor.
I have a system kinetics 2000 FHW system with a frontier oil boiler-if not familiar SK2000 has its own digital energy manager for the system i'm trying to work with.
-Contractor broke up 1 large zone and made 2nd floor separate zone . On the new zone (2nd floor)they added a taco cartridge circ and 1 zone switching relay (sr501-4) but removed the erie NC 2 wire zone valve from that zone. When Thermostat was turned on, (which was direct to relay and circumvented system manager) 2nd floor became a SAUNA.
I disconnect the new 2nd floor thermostat from the taco switching relay and connect to system manager input and install erie 2 wire NC zone valve for new 2nd floor loop from system manager output.
Ok, heat works a bit slow on second floor now. Would an circ valve cause any return restriction if not powered?

Question- I want to make use of new 2nd floor zone circulator but unsure how to wire it properly. I cannot wire the thermostat to the taco switching relay. Can I replace the 2 wire zone valve with a 4 wire zone valve with end switch to control the circ relay and turn on circulator if 2nd floor zone calls for heat?
I am very comfortable with piping but a bit rusty with controls and want to make sure i'm not missing, or overcomplicating something. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

https://energykinetics.com/wp-content/documents/system2000/installer-manual-ek1-ek2-oil.pdf wiring for system manager Page 17

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 6,047
    Why the extra circulator and relay in the first place? How many total heat zones?
    Can you post some pics from farther away?
    The standard setup allows for 4 heating zones plus the water heater. 
    Christine55
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Let's look at the piping too. Maybe you just need a flo chek.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Christine55
  • Christine55
    Christine55 Member Posts: 3
    Hey guys, thanks for replies. The manifold only has 3 ports. I'm trying to figure out myself where exactly they spliced the house to separate the original zone. I USED to have 2 zones, basement and 1st/2nd floor (small cape) I added much more Sq footage to second floor so they made separate loop. Honestly the plumbers weren't familiar with the system and how it's piped - THEY put relay and circ (totally different from outright zones) . I disconnected and put in zone valve like original zones. with circulator and without zone valve it COOKED on 2nd, with zone valve and system circ (original)but no zone circ - it gets warm but much slower. I fear now I'm just being greedy looking for a happy medium of the 2 options. There is a Flo check on the return of the new zone (feeding second floor) I'm embarrassed to post photos haha, but here they are. 
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    edited November 2020
    You shouldn't be embarrassed but your 'plumber' should. Shark bites? Hopefully, but I'm skeptical, they used o2 barrier pex.
    I think you're going to need a hydronics pro on site to sort it out.
    When they remove the shark bites, then can fix your leak too.
    All three zones can be wired to work off the Energy Manager.

There was an error rendering this rich post.