Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cartridge Circulator pump question

Options
eugd
eugd Member Posts: 75
edited October 2020 in Gas Heating
How do you know that when the cart rage needs to be replaced? Pump is making a slight sloshing sound even after purging the zones. No rattling sounds or loud buzzing on the pump.  It appears to be functioning properly and it’s only 6 years old.  

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    Could be air or pressure , is the pump installed on the return ? Is the zone heating ?
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
    eugd
  • eugd
    Options
    I believe it is the return it’s a Weil mclain ultra boiler on the left side
  • eugd
    Options
    Pressure is normal.  But when do you know it’s the cartridge and not the motor?
  • psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 833
    Options
    The cartridge is the motor.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,523
    Options
    Unless its making a grinding nose, or leaking the circ is probably fine
  • MaxMercy
    MaxMercy Member Posts: 508
    Options
    eugd said:

How do you know that when the cart rage needs to be replaced? Pump is making a slight sloshing sound even after purging the zones. No rattling sounds or loud buzzing on the pump.

The cartridge is the only moving part of the circulator and is half the motor. The rest of the motor is just the windings which I've never seen fail (but I'm not a pro either).

All the ones I've seen bad over the years have made rattling or howling sounds when the bearing(s) in the cartridge fail.

BTW, why is the cartridge like 90 to 100% % the cost of the complete circulator?
  • Gilmorrie
    Gilmorrie Member Posts: 185
    Options
    The only way to check the cartridge is to remove the four cap screws and slide the motor off the pump volute - that will expose the impeller and the cartridge. Unless you can valve off the pump, that may require draining the system below the elevation of the pump. As far as the reason for the price of the cartridge vs. the whole pump, only Taco knows for sure.
    MaxMercy
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    I was surprised at the size of the pump, but then looked it up to see that it comes with the boiler. The HX must have a large pressure drop.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    Options
    The pump stops rotating. It's a mystery why Taco cartridges are so expensive. Often times I have replaced the whole pump because in terms of labor it was much cheaper and it was a new housing, too.

I had a situation where a 010 seized up. I cut the cartridge apart and discovered it was filled with magnetite. I like to know why thing fail. I replaced it with a Grundfos. I can take a Grundfos apart and clean it, if need be, which can't be done with a Taco.

Your pump is probably ok. You would have to remove the cartridge and spin the impeller and check for drag.
  • MaxMercy
    MaxMercy Member Posts: 508
    Options

I had a situation where a 010 seized up. I cut the cartridge apart and discovered it was filled with magnetite. .

You just reminded me of a question I've had for years. Why are hydronic heating systems not fitted with a sediment filter? I was going to install one on mine but never did because I've never seen one so equipped.

• eugd
    Options
    Thanks for all your info. I just wanted to know because last year was the first year I didn’t have issues with this unit and thanks to you guys i was able to figure out a wiring issues that was done wrong upon install I just wanted to know because I rather avoid any future issues.  Just wanted to get more info on it.  Thank you for all of you help and stay safe. 
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    Options
    MaxMercy, they are as an after market install. Caleffi make a dirt mag to trap sediments including black iron debris. They have become very popular with the advent of ECM pumps that have powerful magnets in them.
    SuperTechMaxMercy
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,139
    Options
    What type of air purger is on the system? There should be a good micro bubble purger at the supply out piping. Looks like the factory header is being used. High head circs are usually a higher rpm and do make a racket when they have air bubbles in them.
    Should be an auto air vent in or on top of that boiler, be sure it is working, it helps keep the HX air free.id

Yes all boilers should have dirt separators and I highly recommend a type with magnetic removal function.

How old is the boiler? Those aluminum block boilers are sensitive to water quality and the fire side should be cleaned regularly.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • eugd
    Options
    Boiler is 6 years and has a bleeder on top but no magnetic remover that in can see.  
  • SteveSan
    SteveSan Member Posts: 234
    Options
    You can take an amp reading on the motor. On the nameplate looks like 1.45amp. If drawing that pump is working fine. If over by more than 1.5x then rotor could be locked or air. Also normal temp on motor is between 140-160 degrees. You can also take the motor away from the casing and very briefly apply power, if the imp. takes off right away with no drag then it's air.
  • eugd
    Options
    It was air bleeding he boiler 2 x and resolved.  Temp was with in range and pressure was with in range.  Thanks for all the input.