Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Old Kewanee Boiler - probably came without gas burner & pilot assembly?

Gilmorrie
Gilmorrie Member Posts: 185
This gas-fired hot-water boiler was installed in 1951. The pilot assembly was a Rube Goldberg affair that I have recently replaced with modern after-market, universal model. The boiler was rated for gas, oil, and hand firing, but has always been fired with gas. It looks like it must have been left up to the plumbing installer to rig up a homemade pilot assembly and figure out how to mount it. Is that likely?

ayetchvacker

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,517
    Not likely. The pilot would have to be part of and sold with the burner
  • Lard
    Lard Member Posts: 115
    That Gordon upshot burner should have a refractory “pie plate” on top of it.  I see the cast iron burner and the pin that should hold said plate—but no plate.

Should not be operated without this no-longer-available part.
  • Lard
    Lard Member Posts: 115
    edited October 2020
    photo of a Gordon Upshot burner three minutes ago as God intended. Yes, I own and maintain one in a scorched air unit and once that plate goes, hydronic baseboard goes in..  Plate is two halves and very fragile.  Yours probably crumbled long ago. 
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,630

Not likely. The pilot would have to be part of and sold with the burner

The pilot burner would have been part of the burner but it would have had to have been piped back to the tap before the main manual valve by the installer since it was probably not a total shutoff combination valve but the pilot burner was only controlled by a small gas cock on the pilot burner line.